NY chicken lover!!!!

:thMy excitement tonight: went peach picking at Indian Creek Farm in Ithaca, ate dinner, came home. Hubby went to do chores as I get half sleeping child to bed. He comes down and hands me 4 chicks! And not the 3 week olds that are with Broodies, these are day olds! Found them alone in the barn! Goes back to finish chores, comes in with 2 more! I'm trying to cuddle the chicks to warm them up while using the other hand to clean a water dish and set up heat lamp. Hubby comes back down to say he found the broody, at the top of the hay stack near the rafters, snuck down between some bales, with 4 more chicks! And 3 more eggs. Of course in process of moving broody to the brooder box, one of the chicks jumped between the hay and barn wall. So got the 6 in the house settled in an old guinea pig cage with a heat lamp, then went and pulled down hay bales to find the lost chick. Thankfully only down 3 layers of hay.
And the hen to hatch these out? A Spitz...

:thMy excitement tonight: went peach picking at Indian Creek Farm in Ithaca, ate dinner, came home. Hubby went to do chores as I get half sleeping child to bed. He comes down and hands me 4 chicks! And not the 3 week olds that are with Broodies, these are day olds! Found them alone in the barn! Goes back to finish chores, comes in with 2 more! I'm trying to cuddle the chicks to warm them up while using the other hand to clean a water dish and set up heat lamp. Hubby comes back down to say he found the broody, at the top of the hay stack near the rafters, snuck down between some bales, with 4 more chicks! And 3 more eggs. Of course in process of moving broody to the brooder box, one of the chicks jumped between the hay and barn wall. So got the 6 in the house settled in an old guinea pig cage with a heat lamp, then went and pulled down hay bales to find the lost chick. Thankfully only down 3 layers of hay.
And the hen to hatch these out? A Spitz...

I can't help but laugh.:lau
It sounds exactly like something that would happen to me.
Enjoy your new babies!

If you come to next year's chickenstock, I can bring some for you. I've got lavenders and buff dundottes. Together they will produce lavenders, buff dundottes, and porcelains.
I would like to getin on that too. I am hoping to sign on a house with 4 1/2 scrubby acres in Mexico, NY - North of SYR, in the next month. Next year I too will be looking for a tick-eating army to assist the urban flock of chickens I currently have. ~Trish

Cute story Where are the Pics ?
Quick pic hubby took last night. Most are all black. Not sure if they were only her eggs or some donors. One has puffy cheeks of an EE and another is a possibly silver. "Mom" is the solid black Spitz hen.
IMG_1115.JPG

Quick pic hubby took last night. Most are all black. Not sure if they were only her eggs or some donors. One has puffy cheeks of an EE and another is a possibly silver. "Mom" is the solid black Spitz hen. View attachment 1121425
Lol. I've had a few spitz go broody. Apparently they haven't read the write-ups on them suggesting they don't go broody. Great moms too. Enjoy!!

Hubby found one that was left outside overnight. Very cold but still moving and cheeping.
As I watch it, is see lice/mites/creepy crawlers in the down. Sooo want to give it a bath and go shower myself. What can I treat itty bitty chicks with?
BYC app seems to be having issues this morning as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1117.JPG
    IMG_1117.JPG
    378.4 KB · Views: 3
Hello all, just want to introduce myself as a new member here. I've lived in Upstate New York my entire life, near the shores of Lake Ontario in northern Oswego/Cayuga counties. I currently have a new batch of Barred Rocks that I look forward to having clean all these ticks off my property!

Hello all, just want to introduce myself as a new member here. I've lived in Upstate New York my entire life, near the shores of Lake Ontario in northern Oswego/Cayuga counties. I currently have a new batch of Barred Rocks that I look forward to having clean all these ticks off my property!
Welcome I'm new here and to chickens too. Not to far from you. I'm alittle farther north. In harrisville (Lewis county)

Hubby found one that was left outside overnight. Very cold but still moving and cheeping.
As I watch it, is see lice/mites/creepy crawlers in the down. Sooo want to give it a bath and go shower myself. What can I treat itty bitty chicks with?
BYC app seems to be having issues this morning as well.

If the day old chick has them that badly already, you must have a pretty bad infestation :( I would dust all your birds, including the chicks, with Sevin dust or permethrin (not permethrin if you have cats since permethrin WILL kill them) and also I would treat them with ivermectin for a double whammy (don't ivermectin the chicks, only the adults). Then you'll want to clean out all the coops and dust them down really well too. If you can use permethrin, Gordon's spray is really good for that purpose. If not, Sevin will work.

Then you'll need to repeat it all again in ten days to get the new ones that have hatched. You also might want to put Sevin/Permethrin in their dust bathing spots, so that they'll also be treating themselves when they dust bathe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom