NY chicken lover!!!!

easter eggers are my absolute favorites doe to their cute little beards and colored egg laying. throw in a maran and some kind of white/cream egg layer and you’ll have a good variety of colors!

I read a lot of RIR are jerks posts, so Imm not sure about the friendliness of that breed. I do happen to have two bantam RIRs right now, curious whether they’ll make the stereotype

That's good to know about the RIR since I've now added too many chicks to my cart! Since those seem to be more easy to find locally, maybe I'll take that one out for now and start with the other 6.

My new saga today is that I got my rafters and purlins up, and unwrapped the packages of polycarbonate roofing panels that I'd bought. One package was supposed to have three but only had 1! I called Home Depot and they were very nice about it and found one in stock they will send me next week but couldn't find any others. I tracked down another one from another distributer, so hopefully that will show up in a couple weeks. I have a leftover piece of metal roofing with the same profile, so I can slap that one on the side until the other panels show up.

It looks like people usually post their coops once they are all done, not "in progress". I'm taking lots of pictures!

That's good to know about the RIR since I've now added too many chicks to my cart! Since those seem to be more easy to find locally, maybe I'll take that one out for now and start with the other 6.

My new saga today is that I got my rafters and purlins up, and unwrapped the packages of polycarbonate roofing panels that I'd bought. One package was supposed to have three but only had 1! I called Home Depot and they were very nice about it and found one in stock they will send me next week but couldn't find any others. I tracked down another one from another distributer, so hopefully that will show up in a couple weeks. I have a leftover piece of metal roofing with the same profile, so I can slap that one on the side until the other panels show up.

It looks like people usually post their coops once they are all done, not "in progress". I'm taking lots of pictures!
Ooh! Order details! And of course we need pics when they arrive!

post them! progress photos are fun!

which breeds did you settle on?

Front view, with door waiting patiently for hardware cloth and for us to finish going in and out all the time. Roofing (missing 2 panels) on right.
IMG_7836.png

Side view, with some of the purlins haphazardly scattered over the top. We need to fix those down and then do the roofing from the inside out (i.e., not standing on the plastic roofing), and THEN I can hardware cloth the top from the inside. Coop proper will sit in the upper left-hand space (3 feet wide, 10 feet long, with multiple large doors on both long sides).
IMG_7837.png

And you all convinced me to just go for it (also having a rough work day, so this was a nice break at lunch. Went with Mt. Healthy, and they should show up Aug 23rd. I think I'm good on the brooder setup/heating, still need to get feed.

Splurged on 6 chicks, including the Maran.

Americana (they are clear that it is an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana. Someday)
Olive Egger
Black Copper Maran
Buff Orpington
Golden Laced Wyandotte (so pretty!)
Black Australorp

If only one ends up being a male (I asked for females) we may be able to just keep it. But we are crossing our fingers for just females.

Front view, with door waiting patiently for hardware cloth and for us to finish going in and out all the time. Roofing (missing 2 panels) on right.
View attachment 3611969

Side view, with some of the purlins haphazardly scattered over the top. We need to fix those down and then do the roofing from the inside out (i.e., not standing on the plastic roofing), and THEN I can hardware cloth the top from the inside. Coop proper will sit in the upper left-hand space (3 feet wide, 10 feet long, with multiple large doors on both long sides).
View attachment 3611970

And you all convinced me to just go for it (also having a rough work day, so this was a nice break at lunch. Went with Mt. Healthy, and they should show up Aug 23rd. I think I'm good on the brooder setup/heating, still need to get feed.

Americana (they are clear that it is an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana. Someday)
Olive Egger
Black Copper Maran
Buff Orpington
Black Australorp

If only one ends up being a male (I asked for females) we may be able to just keep it. But we are crossing our fingers for just females.
Nice selection! I have a gold laced easter egger, best of both worlds😆

View attachment 3611969

View attachment 3611970

Olive Egger
Black Copper Maran
Buff Orpington
Black Australorp

The coop is coming along great! Nice work!

That is a fantastic selection of breeds, they should all get along well and you’ll have a beautiful egg basket. 😊

I live in Orange County NY. I have 10 mystic onyx hens (3 months), 1 Easter egged hen 5 months and 5 Easter egged Roos. 4 Roos are in a bachelor pad and my most passive roo is with my girls. I just had my first egg laid!! I'd love to meet other chicken owners around me.

Back
Top Bottom