Official BYC Poll: Do you use electrolytes in your chickens' water during the summer?

Do you use electrolytes in your chickens' water during the summer?

• Yes, every day

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Yes, a few times a week

• Yes, once a week

• Yes, only during heat waves

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Yes, occasionally as needed

Votes: 27 28.7%
  • No, never

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • No, but I’m considering it

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • No, I use a different supplement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’ve tried it but didn’t see a difference

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I wasn’t aware this was an option

Votes: 6 6.4%

• Total voters

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
As the summer heat intensifies, keeping our chickens cool and healthy becomes a top priority. Many chicken keepers turn to electrolytes to help their flocks stay hydrated and maintain their energy levels during the hottest days.

We're eager to hear from you: do you add electrolytes to your chickens' water in the summer? Let us know your approach and discover what others in the community are doing to support their feathered friends!

Do you use electrolytes in your chickens' water during the summer.png

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

No. I do not use electrolytes in my chickens' water in summer as a normal practice. I reserve the use of electrolytes for special circumstances only as overuse of electrolytes can result in electrolyte imbalances and electrolyte poisoning that can affect heart and kidneys and muscles.

I always keep electrolytes handy for health crises. Fortunately, I don't live in an area with especially punishing heat waves. But if such a heat wave were to occur where my chickens have not had time to become gradually acclimated, I would use electrolytes in their water until the temps returned to normal.

I do remain alert for any sign of dehydration or heat stress - stumbling, imbalance, and collapse. I immediately administer electrolytes to that individual.

Otherwise, I encourage water intake by providing numerous and strategic watering stations and watch my chickens for any change in behavior.

No. Shade and multiple water stations works well for me. I have used it for fresh shipped chicks and am keeping it mind for the Wyandottes that may not be as heat tolerant as single comb birds. If I do end up using it, it would not be more than once a week and plain water would still be available.

TL;DR: No, but considering.

In Wisconsin, we only get about two weeks of blistering heat near or above 100 per season. My chickens free range and will be found laying under the hostas in this weather. I go look at them all and see if they are panting and usually they are. Then I mix up usually three ice cream pails of Hydro-Hen (electrolyte/probiotic) water, put some ice chunks in them, and set them strategically among the hostas.

It's generally just those two weeks I do the electrolytes in the water, but am still putting water out in the yard for them all spring/summer as I think they forget there is water in the coop.

Occasionally- Our summers can be brutal with the heat and humidity to boot. If it is just a normal "hot" Texas day, I don't use them, they have 3 watering stations that are filled with fresh water daily (2 nipple, 1 traditional trough style). If it is going to be excessively hot for more than a couple days, I'll mix up some electrolytes and chill in the fridge then make a mash for the ladies. If it continues for weeks I have a waterer that is only for electrolytes that I'll set out a couple days a week, still providing fresh water in the other 3. Otherwise, fans, shade, and mud holes seem to do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom