Official BYC Poll: Do You Wear a Mask or Respirator When Cleaning Your Coop?

Do you wear a mask or respirator when cleaning your coop?

• Yes - Everytime I'm in the coop!

Votes: 49 6.1%
  • Yes - Only when doing a deep clean

Votes: 174 21.8%
  • Yes - Whenever I scoop or scrape off the poop board

Votes: 49 6.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 89 11.1%
  • I used to, but I don't anymore

Votes: 13 1.6%
  • No - Never

Votes: 249 31.1%
  • No - Is that something I'm supposed to do????

Votes: 147 18.4%
  • Other - Please elaborate

Votes: 30 3.8%

• Total voters
Pics
I'm amazed how many people don't. I clean my poop trays daily. They contain a mixture of construction sand and Sweet PDZ. Even though I try to disturb it as little as possible, just scraping the poop off the top, it still generates clouds of fine dust. I'm a former smoker and I'm not inhaling that. I wear one of those black disposable Covid masks, a fresh one every day. And gloves, also. I didn't get this old by being careless and I don't want to die young, lol.

Sometimes. When I don't it's because I've forgotten to bring a mask, and if I do any cleaning besides scooping poop, I pay dearly. Two days ago I did some prep work for painting, which required closing windows covered in cobwebs and dust. Disturbing the crud caused it to go airborne. Within a few hours I was coughing, felt like I was getting a sore throat, and blowing my nose every 10 seconds. I'm now determined to either use a mask every time I work in the nest room, or put the work off until I do have a mask. I know there are rats, so histoplasmosis from their droppings is a legit concern.

I write this in shame 😳
I have masks, special ones bought by my hubby after I coughed up hemp dusk eek.
I have an apron too.
If there was an emoji for the true embarrassment I feel here I would use it
I confess I don’t use either.
I used to but when summer came it seemed too hot and my glasses steamed up.
I promise I will try again 😔

Back
Top Bottom