Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Rodents Away From Your Coop?

How Do You Keep Rodents Away From Your Coop?

• I clean the coop regularly

Votes: 65 53.7%
  • I have a dog/cat roaming near the coop

Votes: 66 54.5%
  • I store feed & water away from the coop at night

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I have mouse & rat traps

Votes: 35 28.9%
  • I use mouse & rat poison

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • I look for and seal any holes & cracks around the coop

Votes: 41 33.9%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 15 12.4%

• Total voters
We have a rat pack visit to our allotments scheduled for Sunday morning. They only use dogs but smoke out rats when they find a nest. I know my ladies will be safe as I have no nest sites or signs of , around my enclosure but I’m wondering what effect the smoke bombs may have on any birds as there are chicken,geese and ducks on site. Does anyone have any knowledge of the uses and any side effects of the smoke bombs used by rat packs?

the only rodents i get are chipmunks stealing scratch when the coop door is open lol. i’m hyper paranoid about predators so i made sure everything is 100% sealed, the only holes are 1/2” hardware cloth. i’m honestly pretty lucky that i haven’t had mice, i leave feed and eggs on the coop floor all the time haha 🧿

I giggled at the dog roaming near the coop.
We have a border collie female that claims the flock as hers. She and my lab got i to big trouble 7 years ago when I first got chickens. They killed 3 of them and I beat them with the dead birds🤦‍♀️
Until the day my sweet lab passed she wouldn't come within 20 feet of the coop without an ok. But Riata went to the opposite end and would sit all day, hours on end outside the coop. She has managed to get herself locked inside and doesn't hurt anything. She just sits in there with them.
We had 1 that hatched chicks 2 months ago and the chicks think Riata is just the norm. Where most people try to keep their dogs away the dang chicks run to her as base when I try to put them in.

Attachments

• 20210723_085924.jpg
    20210723_085924.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 11
My dogs do a good job of catching the odd woods rat that gets too close to the farmyard. The dogs have also wiped out the local muskrats.

Concerning mice, I have snakes out the wazoo. Not that I recommend purposely keeping snakes around. A water moccasin wiped out a clutch of bitties yesterday.

I have hav-a-heart traps and I kinda hold my own. I bring the critters down to a sewer drainage area that goes directly to the LA River, by a golf course... after I set them free, they are on their own to become fodder for the winged ones.

Back
Top Bottom