Official BYC Poll: What Is Your Least Favorite Thing About Keeping Chickens?

What is your least favorite thing about keeping chickens?

• Cleaning out poopy bedding.

Votes: 146 31.3%
  • Preventing picking and overcrowding.

Votes: 37 7.9%
  • Keeping one step ahead of predators

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • Coping with illness/parasites.

Votes: 192 41.2%
  • Refreshing & refilling the feed and water.

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Closing your flock up at night and letting them out in the morning.

Votes: 25 5.4%
  • Dealing with aggressive roosters

Votes: 45 9.7%
  • Nothing! I love everything about it.

Votes: 29 6.2%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 67 14.4%
  • Dealing with death in the flock

Votes: 196 42.1%

• Total voters
The only thing I hate about keeping chickens is the winter here. This past winter we had a few weeks where it was -20F, -50-60F wind chill and 30-40mph winds. On top of that we live next to the river so it’s not just subzero wind, but subzero icy wind blowing over. We made it so we have 10x60’ area divided into two pens and then a 8x60’ gravel walkway in-between the pens and the barn. When it gets below zero with the crazy wind we lock everyone inside, open the interior doors to the walkway and the chickens have a 18x60’ space they can free roam for the few weeks they are shut-in. I only have 15 chickens and two ducks so it’s spacious enough they don’t go crazy in there.

The only thing I hate about keeping chickens is the winter here. This past winter we had a few weeks where it was -20F, -50-60F wind chill and 30-40mph winds. On top of that we live next to the river so it’s not just subzero wind, but subzero icy wind blowing over. We made it so we have 10x60’ area divided into two pens and then a 8x60’ gravel walkway in-between the pens and the barn. When it gets below zero with the crazy wind we lock everyone inside, open the interior doors to the walkway and the chickens have a 18x60’ space they can free roam for the few weeks they are shut-in. I only have 15 chickens and two ducks so it’s spacious enough they don’t go crazy in there.
Oooh wow! That as cold as here! Our average winter is about constant -20! I didn't know Iowa could get so cold! If you have any cold weather hacks for keeping your chickens warm I'd love to share any I have!

Oooh wow! That as cold as here! Our average winter is about constant -20! I didn't know Iowa could get so cold! If you have any cold weather hacks for keeping your chickens warm I'd love to share any I have!
The first time I stepped foot in Iowa was the day we moved here. It -10F, 30mph winds and just over 2ft of snow on the ground. I looked at my husband and said “Oh no, what have we done?!”. Prior to living here I had never experienced subzero temperatures so it was a rude awaking especially after a 15 hour drive and pulling into our new driveway at midnight🤣 We have been here three years now and I am still trying to get the hang of it. So far I give electrolytes daily when it gets that cold. I feed 20% protein year round, but I feed them the 22% meat bird feed when it’s subzero. I add chopped straw on top of a good thick layer of pine bedding to keep their feet from freezing and made an “igloo” out of a Rubbermaid stock tank. I tipped it over and cut a hole big enough for them to climb in. I have one of the bigger 6’ round ones and they all pile in there. They really love it and seem to be pretty content in there. I also really like the rubber heated 2 gallon buckets for waters because they don’t crack like the plastic. I know some people prefer the covered waterers in the winter to not add moisture to the air, but since I have ducks that’s not really an option and the buckets work best for me at least.

The first time I stepped foot in Iowa was the day we moved here. It -10F, 30mph winds and just over 2ft of snow on the ground. I looked at my husband and said “Oh no, what have we done?!”. Prior to living here I had never experienced subzero temperatures so it was a rude awaking especially after a 15 hour drive and pulling into our new driveway at midnight🤣 We have been here three years now and I am still trying to get the hang of it. So far I give electrolytes daily when it gets that cold. I feed 20% protein year round, but I feed them the 22% meat bird feed when it’s subzero. I add chopped straw on top of a good thick layer of pine bedding to keep their feet from freezing and made an “igloo” out of a Rubbermaid stock tank. I tipped it over and cut a hole big enough for them to climb in. I have one of the bigger 6’ round ones and they all pile in there. They really love it and seem to be pretty content in there. I also really like the rubber heated 2 gallon buckets for waters because they don’t crack like the plastic. I know some people prefer the covered waterers in the winter to not add moisture to the air, but since I have ducks that’s not really an option and the buckets work best for me at least.
Oh man!! That is hilarious!! I have never tried the electrolytes but will now! We are off grid so I just use a little one gallon plastic water dish and go out there every hour or so to refill it with hot water. I use lots of straw too. We canned the salmon row from the summer and heat it up to give them as well as any meat we don't want. People say that corn is not a "hot grain" but I have found it is. They get some corn meal mash every night. Beyond that I just offer a highly insulated coop and lots of warm treats. I also soak their feed in hot water so they get warm breakfast! Thanks for the tips!

I have a question for you guys - what do you do with old or disabled chickens? Cull them? Eat them? Give them away? Keep them? I'm truly curious. I ALWAYS keep them, and actually, most of my flock are old chickens that others didn't want and who I adopted. I also have a blind hen and another who possibly has cancer :(

Worrying about them when we go away for a few days. I have good people to look after them when we go but still worry. I can see the coop and run on a camera/ phone app to see what's going on if we get cell service.

The only thing I hate about keeping chickens is the winter here. This past winter we had a few weeks where it was -20F, -50-60F wind chill and 30-40mph winds.
Chickens are descendant from tropical animals. You're doing this in hard mode. It's just like keeping a coconut tree in the frozen north
I have a question for you guys - what do you do with old or disabled chickens? Cull them? Eat them? Give them away? Keep them? I'm truly curious. I ALWAYS keep them, and actually, most of my flock are old chickens that others didn't want and who I adopted. I also have a blind hen and another who possibly has cancer :(
For some chickens are pets, for others they're a food source. Every animal on my homestead contributes somehow. Chickens become food themselves if they no longer serve a purpose

Ironically the only chicken here I expect to die from old age is a nameless one. She's hatched countless young, has the heart of a lion, and beats up foxes several times her size

Chickens are descendant from tropical animals. You're doing this in hard mode. It's just like keeping a coconut tree in the frozen north

For some chickens are pets, for others they're a food source. Every animal on my homestead contributes somehow. Chickens become food themselves if they no longer serve a purpose

Ironically the only chicken here I expect to die from old age is a nameless one. She's hatched countless young, has the heart of a lion, and beats up foxes several times her size
Yes and scientists believe that all humans originated in Africa. Does that mean we all need to move there now?

I totally get it. Good answer

Back
Top Bottom