Skipping ahead to ask:

What’s everybody cooking today?

Not cooking today. Hubby wanted meatloaf and he is the one that makes that.

I was cleaning the coops thoroughly....saw some mouse evidence in my cochin coop.....figured I better pull the heavy nest boxes out.....
:barnie:th
There was an active nest (it felt like hundreds)
of juvenile mice.
:barnie

Now to measure and cut and build external nests for that coop. Not that they lay anyway.

It's my 6x8 coop and I planned to go external eventually but :sick mice have stepped up my timeline.

I make Mexican casserole. Refried beans, taco meat of your choice, queso cheese dip (or Campbell’s fiesta nacho cheese soup), sour cream, diced onion, shredded taco/Mexican cheese, sliced black olives.
I make it in a 13x9 pan. You’ll want to melt the cheese in the microwave or under the broiler.
You can omit what you don’t like. I’ve made it without the beans and sour cream. Tortilla chips to dip or even put in a taco shell.

I make Mexican casserole. Refried beans, taco meat of your choice, queso cheese dip (or Campbell’s fiesta nacho cheese soup), sour cream, diced onion, shredded taco/Mexican cheese, sliced black olives.
I make it in a 13x9 pan. You’ll want to melt the cheese in the microwave or under the broiler.
You can omit what you don’t like. I’ve made it without the beans and sour cream. Tortilla chips to dip or even put in a taco shell.
Squatchers are making hungry today! :drool

Thank You for all the edits. I just got back in from a coop clean out, respray of butts and coop, and I tried to dig out the coop door. Not sure if I had mentioned I've had to use a hammer to chisel the frozen ground away more then once to even squeeze through the door opening.
I also spent what seemed like forever trying to capture Pat's new crow! Every 12 to 15 crows he now yells "F●ck It AALLLLL!"

I love Pat... None of my cockerels have his kind of crow, they just sound sad.:barnie

Not cooking today. Hubby wanted meatloaf and he is the one that makes that.

I was cleaning the coops thoroughly....saw some mouse evidence in my cochin coop.....figured I better pull the heavy nest boxes out.....
:barnie:th
There was an active nest (it felt like hundreds)
of juvenile mice.
:barnie

Now to measure and cut and build external nests for that coop. Not that they lay anyway.

It's my 6x8 coop and I planned to go external eventually but :sick mice have stepped up my timeline.

I hate mice. They would be one downside to living in the country. But with my heritage breed birds, showing themselves is a death sentence. My girls chased a chipmunk out of the pasture, tried their best to catch it, but it was just too fast and illusive.

I hate mice. They would be one downside to living in the country. But with my heritage breed birds, showing themselves is a death sentence. My girls chased a chipmunk out of the pasture, tried their best to catch it, but it was just too fast and illusive.
My flock is afraid of squirrels....and most other things too :(

I love Pat... None of my cockerels have his kind of crow, they just sound sad.:barnie

I had hoped that as I threw mice into the yard the 20 big hens roaming around would have at least got one!

I am going to have to go all out war on them. I can set bucket traps once it stops freezing at night.

Until then I may have to resort to poison.....not something I am comfortable with.

Mine unfortunately are only afraid of what they perceive to be a threat. My new LGD Todd freaked DW out a little today. We were hauling a bunch of fencing stuff down to the other side of the barn and as usual the road was littered with chickens. He took it upon himself to clear them from the road. Didn't care where they went, just off the road. Half flew back into the pasture and the other half into trees. He was happy, road was cleared.

He's also of the firm opinion that ducks and turkeys must be inside a fence. Any fence will do, but when he finds them out, he moves them into a fence.

When it comes to squirrels Todd instinctively chases them off. He also chases off the deer and wild turkeys. That part doesn't make me happy but am willing to live with it. After all the wild turkeys are hussies and always try to convince my toms to leave with them.

I had hoped that as I threw mice into the yard the 20 big hens roaming around would have at least got one!

I am going to have to go all out war on them. I can set bucket traps once it stops freezing at night.

Until then I may have to resort to poison.....not something I am comfortable with.

Poison = Bad. One lady here on byc put out poison and gave her birds vitamin enriched water just in case. Game cam showed the mice eating the poison and drinking the chickens water.:th

Poison scares me.
Not that I haven’t considered it mind you...
the neighbor moved their rabbit hutches from their deck to the “yard”.
Pretty sure so they’ll never have to clean them again.
Which means the rats will be back.
Sigh.
Yeah. Keep me posted on the poison.
I tried the water buckets last year. Tried the spinny kind and one with a pirate plank but I had no luck.

Yeah poison freaks me out 100%.

I know that a few neighbors are putting poison. I worry about accidental poisoning of my pets and birds every day.

Now I will say last year I had a hen in a 2x4x2 cage with 1/4" wire inside the coop. Hospital set up.

I opened it up for her to see if she would come out on her own. She did. He next morning there were 5 mice in that cage through the open door.

Ok kinda maybe sick but I wanted to know how long it takes for the Warfarin based poison to kill. The result is that it doesn't work. Five mice, 8 cubes of poison, no other food or water, 11 days.
How the heck was anything alive after 10 days of no freaking water!

If I do use poison it will be d-con in a special trap that once in they cannot climb out of.
If I make such a trap I will document it and the results.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom