Well, there are only 24 babies this morning. One of the broodies let the three of the 8 babies we gave her die. She was also being mean to any babies that came out from under her. We only found 2 bodies no idea what happened to the third missing baby. But the other 24 are doing well. We gave the 5 babies from the bad broody to another hen. We have one hen with 10 and another with 14. Bad broody is going to become bacon.

Well, there are only 24 babies this morning. One of the broodies let the three of the 8 babies we gave her die. She was also being mean to any babies that came out from under her. We only found 2 bodies no idea what happened to the third missing baby. But the other 24 are doing well. We gave the 5 babies from the bad broody to another hen. We have one hen with 10 and another with 14. Bad broody is going to become bacon.
Bad broody makes good soup too. I usually have bad turkey broodies, but I have found people that just want a hen for their tom. So I sell with full disclosure.

My lack of experience with broodys is showing, but does it mean that once a bad broody, always a bad broody? Can it mean she knows they're not her own chicks, or that she's on the young side, and not prepared to care for them?

My lack of experience with broodys is showing, but does it mean that once a bad broody, always a bad broody? Can it mean she knows they're not her own chicks, or that she's on the young side, and not prepared to care for them?
I have had bad teenage pullet moms that were better as adult hens.

My bad broody turkeys were given 3 and 2 chances. The 3rd time is the charm.

There are different ways hens can be bad broodies. This one in particular just wanted to sit, and sit. She viciously pecked a baby that tried to come out from under her to eat and drink. I also had a Cornish hen that did that. They can also be bad by not attending to the babies or letting them use her for warmth.

Here are some pics of the happy good mommas and babies.
A3F89597-55AB-4B30-8127-8F085B033DEF.jpeg
90936454-1734-4364-82E9-8C5BD6D449C5.jpeg
2C501EA3-A08E-4016-BA60-8498039EDBCE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom