Oh Cr@*, a cold snap is coming

slystr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Dallas TX
I just looked at the weather and I see NOrth TExas is due to get rain and then the temp is going to drop with lows in the 40's!( it's been in hte high 70's lows in the 60's) My 4 week old chicks need to get outside because they are pecking each other in their brooder. My coop is not a traditional coop but a hoop house covered with a blue tarp. I have a shop light w/ reflector in there but it is not supposed to be used for outdoor use.
This chicken thing is nerve-wracking!

I have an outdoor extension card run to my hoop coop with a regular brooder light with reflector (the ceramic base, not plastic base kind) and it has worked fine. Just make sure no rain can get on the bulb and possibly blow it out.

OR
Can you find a store in your area with LARGE cardboard boxes? A refrigerator or other appliance box would make more room temporarily for the chicks inside. You could even run a couple of boxes together with tape.

slyster....any light outside with rain is going to be a bad mix. I agree with allan wranch.....try to get another box, and increase the size of your brooder. Just till it warms back up!

Back
Top Bottom