OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

get VETERICYN and isolate the hurt ones until they are fully healed. No matter how this or what happened, this will prevent any more damage.
they are pecking each other due to girls losing feathers. If there are any differences with any of them, the group focuses on that. We had horribly severe spots that began as dime sizes then got to cover entire back-under tail feathers.

Post  a pic if you can.  That doesn't sound like rooster damage to me. 

So this is one of my girls. You can see a little feather damage on the middle of her back just before her tail.

This picture shows when you lift her wing. Looks fairly normal.

Now close up and under the feathers. They are like scrapes. Not very deep or bloody. She did have one that is more scratch like. Most seem to be abrasions. It's enough to scab up and it can't be comfortable.

Lots of broken feathers and several of these small scabbed spots. I did get more fabric today for saddles. I have vetericyn but they seem to heal pretty quick on their own. I hate that it's happening.

So this is one of my girls. You can see a little feather damage on the middle of her back just before her tail.

Now close up and under the feathers. They are like scrapes. Not very deep or bloody. She did have one that is more scratch like. Most seem to be abrasions. It's enough to scab up and it can't be comfortable.

Lots of broken feathers and several of these small scabbed spots. I did get more fabric today for saddles. I have vetericyn but they seem to heal pretty quick on their own. I hate that it's happening.
I've had roosters do that. Had to remove their spurs to stop it.

Personally I think it looks like rooster damage too. Like he's ripping the feathers out. You said you trimmed them, maybe a jagged spot on them? Have you ever twisted them off? I was scared to death to try it, but once I did, it's the only way for me.

@WVduckchick ...
I was born and raised in WV....later spent 9 yrs in Pa( my husband is from Pa)...and now---since 2015--
am an Ohioan.....
here are my babies, well..ok..I have 3 sons...12, 15 and 18, but---these are my new babies....

Personally I think it looks like rooster damage too. Like he's ripping the feathers out. You said you trimmed them, maybe a jagged spot on them? Have you ever twisted them off? I was scared to death to try it, but once I did, it's the only way for me.

Yikes! That sounds awful! I agreed to boys for protection. They were young and tried to protect the flock but we lost a girl. They are all now under netting but I'd still like to think the boys could protect the flock. I know I don't have enough girls for two roos but again I can't make one of them dinner. I'll look into this twisting of the spurs thing.:sick If not maybe I'll try to do a better job trimming.
I saw my head rooster Big Boy mate with one of my older girls today and I didn't like what saw. He's generally fairly gentle and quick but today he seemed to sit on her forever and kept grabbing the back of her head. They refuse to go outside in the snow so I'm sure they are stir crazy but what I saw today was why I didn't want boys. :rant

New Chicken person here---   an hour South West of Cleveland, Ohio...
nobody would know my little town...it is close to
 Ashland, Medina and Mansfield.......depending on how you travel..  ;)

Hello fellow Ohio chicken obsessed people...
I have my first ever chicks, svart hona...ebony beauties of the chicken world...love them...

I look forward to learning a ton from those in the know.

Have a good weekend.

Shannon

Hi Shannon! I grew up in WV, but I've lived in Southeast Ohio for 15 years. Got a foot in each state. Love your chicks. Such pretty eyes.

New Chicken person here---   an hour South West of Cleveland, Ohio...
nobody would know my little town...it is close to
 Ashland, Medina and Mansfield.......depending on how you travel..  ;)

Hello fellow Ohio chicken obsessed people...
I have my first ever chicks, svart hona...ebony beauties of the chicken world...love them...

I look forward to learning a ton from those in the know.

Have a good weekend.

Shannon

I grew up in a town just outside of Medina that had a Medina zip code because the town was too small to have it's own!

@WVduckchick ... I was born and raised in WV....later spent 9 yrs in Pa( my husband is from Pa)...and now---since 2015-- am an Ohioan..... here are my babies, well..ok..I have 3 sons...12, 15 and 18, but---these are my new babies.... ...
3 sons? Awesome! Beautiful Honas. Nice black. I love their little beady eyes. lol are they friendly?
Yikes! That sounds awful! I agreed to boys for protection. They were young and tried to protect the flock but we lost a girl. They are all now under netting but I'd still like to think the boys could protect the flock. I know I don't have enough girls for two roos but again I can't make one of them dinner. I'll look into this twisting of the spurs thing.:sick If not maybe I'll try to do a better job trimming. I saw my head rooster Big Boy mate with one of my older girls today and I didn't like what saw. He's generally fairly gentle and quick but today he seemed to sit on her forever and kept grabbing the back of her head. They refuse to go outside in the snow so I'm sure they are stir crazy but what I saw today was why I didn't want boys. :rant
Eek. Seriously, the spur reduction is so simple, I was shocked! It's easiest if someone else can hold the bird. You hold the leg, take a pair of pliers and gently grasp the spur at the base close to the leg. Barely twist, back and forth, and it will pop, right where the spur meets the leg. Then it slides off like a sheath!. There's a small soft spur underneath that will harden in a couple of days. It may bleed a tad, but if you snap it just right, barely nothing. Doesn't hurt the rooster at all. I'll see if I can find my pics. It may also keep him off of them for a few days...lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom