ok the whole 12 on, 12 off feed..when do you start?

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
I got the chicks tonight, how soon can you go to the 12 hours on, 12 hours off. I have layers chicks too, separate container, that I will put under a wooly hen. I would like to do so with the meats too.

Mrs K

Will you have them under lights too? If no lights, they will sleep at night and won't eat. Mine at 4 week old and I'm providing feed all the time. No plans to restrict feed. They are still active and bouncing around.

Will you have them under lights too? If no lights, they will sleep at night and won't eat. Mine at 4 week old and I'm providing feed all the time. No plans to restrict feed. They are still active and bouncing around.

so do you shut the lights off at night? Or do you keep food with them 24/7?

First 2 weeks in brooder and free feed under heat lamps. We started with 40. My share was 10. So they kept everyone warm with the lamps. This was at my buddy's place. Had predator issues.

We are far enough south that it was 70°F at 3 weeks, so I took my 6 remaining. They went to the tractor. No supplemental heating. Gave them a dry box or huddle box. Tractor is covered, but the first rainstorm filled the box. My fault. They survived, thankfully they were able to get out of the rain. Temperatures have been bouncing between 60 to 80 and they are growing. 4.5 weeks along. Mostly feathered, eating the vetch and grass in the tractor. Found out they really like fire ants, unlike the layers.

I'm thinking the greens are lowering the daily protein uptake and pacing the growth. I'm using an 18% protein grower feed. I really don't have anything to compare these to. They are huge, in my mind. Since I am starting, all this is new to me. Just made a year with layers.

With a wooly hen, are you providing supplemental heat? How warm is South Dakota? We are down to 64°F today.

Back
Top Bottom