OK, what size wire mesh?

cochin44

Songster
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
St. Amant, LA
I know there has to be an ideal size of wire mesh recommended by coop builders on this site. The last coop I built I used 1x1 inch mesh, which can get expensive, but has worked fine. Has anyone had predator-free coops with 1x2, or 2x2 ?

I don't think anyone here will tell you to go bigger than 1x1, a lot of people use half inch. I did 1x2 galvanized on the bottom 3' with chicken wire over. Cut down on some cost but is *hopefully* much more predator proof than just chicken wire.
Good luck!

I used 2x4 welded wire 3 feet high and bent out 1 foot to slow down diggers. Then used 2foot hardware cloth over that and used chicken wire over the whole thing it looks like a circus tent with a 8 foot high center and 4 foot high side and it is 24 x 50. I used barb wire as my ribs to support all the fence.

For a run, I like either 1x1 or 2x4 heavy-gauge welded wire mesh, with 1/2" hardwarecloth or even just 1/2" chickenwire (1" not as good, but not useless) along the inside on the bottom 2-3' to prevent reach-through problems.

For a structure where chickens will be at night (the coop, or coop+run if you will leave popdoor open) it depends in large part how much of a problem weasels or rats are. They can get through VERY small spaces. Of course, frankly they're awfully hard to keep out no matter *what* if they really want in -- but in an area with a known weasel or rat problem I would want my birds protected at night by 1/2" hardwarecloth.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom