***OKIES in the BYC III ***

To all my gardening friends locked in mortal combat w/ the evil squash bug, who think you are holding your own. I have a challenge for you tomorrow, take your water hose w/ a spray attachment and spray the base of your squash plants in the middle of the mass of stems if you dare!!!!! Be prepared to squish, cuss, and cry. Also be prepared for the nightmares that are sure to follow. But don't give up we can exploit this weakness in them for our advantage!!!!!!!!!
oh, Kass, I'm right there with you. drown. stomp. repeat. i really hate those things but the crunch is rather satisfying. my pumpkins have escaped so far *fingers crossed* i think i might have 5 squash from 10 nice plants oh well. die bugs die!

Quote: I feel like I am losing this fight with the squash bugs. Really don't want to use a chemical. Tried to show one of my girls the bugs but she ran away. Not sure chickens like them anyway. This is the only time I have had a problem getting them to dig through the garden. Any other time, they'd be destroying it.
idunno.gif
Maybe they knew they were outnumbered! LOL

I feel like I am losing this fight with the squash bugs. Really don't want to use a chemical. Tried to show one of my girls the bugs but she ran away. Not sure chickens like them anyway. This is the only time I have had a problem getting them to dig through the garden. Any other time, they'd be destroying it.
idunno.gif
Maybe they knew they were outnumbered! LOL
I haven't used chemicals yet, just squishing, My girls will eat them most times. I have some squash plants in the chickens area and they have no squash bug on them so I know they will eat them. Spraying the plants today w/ the water helped to flush them out well so they could be easily seen and squished both the adults and the nymphs. I tried planing permethium flower seeds w/ the squash but none of them came up, so don't know if it will work or not.

Well MacGyvers chicks are on their way home with her, the classroom doesn't seem the same without any eggs in the incubator or chicks in the classroom brooders.

Hope tonight stays dry, I know the rain would be nice but I lost 4 chicks and one keet to the rain last night. I think they trompled each other with the storms going on. I have one more that I may loose yet. I gave him a bath and a blow dry and he is in a inside brooder tonight to see if he pulls through. The keet I lost was laying out in it's run soaking wet the rest were all in their coop, guess I will have to change them having access to the run during the night time hours if they aren't smart enough to get in when it storms.

UPS did a good one today, came while I was at the fireworks stand. My 15 year old was here and accepted delivery of two boxes, the driver asked if we were expecting another delivery. Kurt didn't know my waterers were shipped in 2 boxes so he said "I don't know my dad is expecting tires and my mom chicken stuff". The guy said oh well guess I will try to deliver it again on Monday, huh????? If it is addressed to us at our address why not deliver it today. Hubby will call them Monday if the tires aren't here by Monday afternoon.

Well off to bed, I am going to try to drive to Perkins for the auction up there tomorrow morning before heading to the fireworks stand. Sure wish I was going to the meet up tomorrow but no way I would get away with that, lol. You all have enough fun for me too.

hey macguyver, which way you going here?
ep.gif

prettychicks, macguyver is the mrs.
gig.gif
at least i think so.
hide.gif

now my husband does do all my building for me, he realy does luv me!
lau.gif

oh lord am i going to h e dbl hockey sticks for that one?
ya.gif
wee.gif
th.gif
Pretty sure you're right about me being the Mrs. Otherwise my husband and I are going to be really disappointed. :D

Well MacGyvers chicks are on their way home with her, the classroom doesn't seem the same without any eggs in the incubator or chicks in the classroom brooders.

Hope tonight stays dry, I know the rain would be nice but I lost 4 chicks and one keet to the rain last night. I think they trompled each other with the storms going on. I have one more that I may loose yet. I gave him a bath and a blow dry and he is in a inside brooder tonight to see if he pulls through. The keet I lost was laying out in it's run soaking wet the rest were all in their coop, guess I will have to change them having access to the run during the night time hours if they aren't smart enough to get in when it storms.

UPS did a good one today, came while I was at the fireworks stand. My 15 year old was here and accepted delivery of two boxes, the driver asked if we were expecting another delivery. Kurt didn't know my waterers were shipped in 2 boxes so he said "I don't know my dad is expecting tires and my mom chicken stuff". The guy said oh well guess I will try to deliver it again on Monday, huh????? If it is addressed to us at our address why not deliver it today. Hubby will call them Monday if the tires aren't here by Monday afternoon.

Well off to bed, I am going to try to drive to Perkins for the auction up there tomorrow morning before heading to the fireworks stand. Sure wish I was going to the meet up tomorrow but no way I would get away with that, lol. You all have enough fun for me too.

Welp, I had chicken drama when I got home. I had one little chickie doo that wasn't out of its shell. So, I was gonna carry it around in my bra for a while, or maybe fire up the incubator. Couldn't decide. I needed to candle my eggs under the second cochin bantam, and when I checked, every single one was clear.
barnie.gif
But it gave me an idea. I shoved the not quite yet hatched egg under the mama, and then kept shoving chicks under her. We'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom