***OKIES in the BYC III ***

~~I finished my Weeping Angel block, I am so excited w/ how it turned out!!!!!!!! Well over 300 pieces and most all my points and matches are perfect!!!!!!!
Wow, just wow. That is so beautiful... makes me want to get back into stained glass. I would hang that on my wall as regular art, without any Who reference at all.

Wow, just wow. That is so beautiful... makes me want to get back into stained glass. I would hang that on my wall as regular art, without any Who reference at all.

This is the one block that even non Whovians would like, just find a different social reference.

Not very sure what is wrong with my lav orp legs but I have come close to figuring out what is wrong with the buff cochin cockerel foot. Actually it's feet. I was watching him walking today and I noticed he brings his feet up high to his belly. That explains why there were feathers missing. I looked at his feet much closer and what I thought was mud and poo is poo, blood, scab and whatever else to coat parts of his little feet. Oh the poor dear. It breaks my heart because some of his toe tips look like frost bite (black tips). I don't know what to do now. I was trying to find him a home but now I don't want to give him to just anyone. My neighbor kid wants to give him to his cousin but I know the poor thing will get no care. Would any of you consider this to be a situation to cull a rooster? I wish I took pics after soaking them in some Epsom salt water. A few cracks that were sealed stared to bleed and I just don't know how to get that thick scab off without actually cutting it off. No wonder he was limping around. The two pullets seem just fine though...
Would it make a difference if I let the auction people know what condition I have gotten these chickens in? I am just so disgusted that this is more than one consigner that has put in chickens in such a sad condition.
rant.gif

I am just so sad for that poor boy.
hit.gif
What is going on with the Lav orp?

On the cochin boy, can you get pics of his feet and post them? i am thinking bumblefoot? if you do end up with no one taking him, let me know, but i am thinking MJ wanted him and could do wonders with his feet. i think the first thing is exactly what you did is soaking- then try to determine if it is bumblefoot, that can be treated

Last edited:
Bardies, the chicks I've lost are 4 out of the 10 hatchery Silkies (ALL wwhites!) and 3 of the 9 from the Sizzle group. I've lost 5 from the group of Leghorns though, too.
True5-heck no, no cull him over that. Find out 1st what it is. Soak and clean it really well and see how he heals up. There's no reason to cull him unless it gets to the point he can't walk. And it doesn't sound like he's at that point at all.

It is good to see you and Grace back on....and NNBreeder too.
Someone is speaking to their spouse about the incubator....and they will let
Grace know.
I have three incubators...incubating in the two Hovabators and hatching in the Little Giant. ...so far 11 have hatched and the last three are pipped. The next batch of 25 go to the hatcher tomorrow.
We were seriously thinking about it, but at this time we don't want to put in the budget. And with more expense now, I am seriouly thinking I like the natural way we've been doing it and I won't be tempted to hatch more and more. Besides, I still like buying chicks of different breeds so I need to cut back somewhere. I'm going to try to rehome goats and ducks, but the ducks only after they're vaccinated. Besides NanKat, I still want some of your mixed.

this girl is from nana, i would think the cochin dotte cross would be gorgeous- this is shasta, she is a dotte and absolutely the sweetest personality

Pretty, pretty Pretty. and they look happy. Can't wait until I get some.

~~I finished my Weeping Angel block, I am so excited w/ how it turned out!!!!!!!! Well over 300 pieces and most all my points and matches are perfect!!!!!!!

Quilts, photography etc. Is there anything you're not talented in? Again. I have to say wow.
Bardies, the chicks I've lost are 4 out of the 10 hatchery Silkies (ALL wwhites!) and 3 of the 9 from the Sizzle group. I've lost 5 from the group of Leghorns though, too.
True5-heck no, no cull him over that. Find out 1st what it is. Soak and clean it really well and see how he heals up. There's no reason to cull him unless it gets to the point he can't walk. And it doesn't sound like he's at that point at all.
I'm so sorry for your losses.Are u going to let the hatchery know? I agree with you. Give hiim a chance first, as long as the pain isn't beyond cruel. I've found animals bounce back and adapt to live healthy lives. If it's the expense, I know someone here wanted him. My memory is poor, Maybe I should start taking notes to keep up. LOL
ChickenFan4Life, I want to respond to you and others, but I'm to windy right now and hogging to much space at this time.

I don't know much about ducks but would doubt it is any more of a stressor to bring her in to take care of her. The bigger stressor would have been catching her w/ a net, and since you don't want to put her through that again to treat her I'd say keep her safe where you can easily treat her.

What is going on with the Lav orp?

On the cochin boy, can you get pics of his feet and post them? i am thinking bumblefoot? if you do end up with no one taking him, let me know, but i am thinking MJ wanted him and could do wonders with his feet. i think the first thing is exactly what you did is soaking- then try to determine if it is bumblefoot, that can be treated
Lav Orp just started walking stiff legged one day. Walks but then lays down to do anything like eat, drink or poo. I have him on vitamins so hopefully that nips this problem in the bud.
fl.gif

I will try to get pics tomorrow. After I soaked his feet tonight for awhile and he was walking more tenderfooted afterwards. He found out that he can sit in the nesting boxes but I don't think he thought about the drop...
It looks dark crusty on the bottoms of his foot like he gripped on to a hot iron and it scabbed over. But his feet were filthy and even toes nails had big balls of poop mud dingleberries petrified on them. His tips look black. I noticed bleeding cracking on the tops of some toes after soaking. I will have to have him soak for quite awhile to get where most the injuries are soft enough to clean up. I think I panicked because I know that it needs to be peeled off and cleaned (its the pain it will cause that made me freak out). I just can't stand to see the poor guy suffer and I just know his feet hurt him. And this has been going on for awhile as he has rubbed his belly almost bald from lifting his feet up as he walks. I think I'm a little afraid of failing at fixing him and I am super paranoid!!!
hide.gif

I do think MJ said she did want him but that was before I started noticing all this. When I looked him over I initially thought it was just mud and needed cleaned. I didn't see the worst part of it until after I soaked them then realized the damage. I will let her know but if she doesn't want him then you can be next. I am giving him away for free, not because of his condition but because I would rather him go to a good home and I know BYCers are awesome with their chickens!

So sorry for your loss. I bet those chicks are so adorable! I need to get me some babies... hopefully spring.
I was really feeling so bad for him I thought the worst first. I won't cull him over it now that I know I can help him. I need to put him back in the tub to soak him. I will do that tomorrow when it warms up a bit. I soaked a little tonight but it wasn't enough to break up the crusty that I can't tell if it is dead tissue that has crusted or if its scabbie with poop/dirt. He smells (that dirty been stuck in a chicken pen thats poopy smell) and needs a bath so he just might get one. Unfortunately he likes to flap his wings a lot... rain gear will be needed!

Is he healthy other than the frost bite?
He looks healthy but needs to be fattened up. Kinda on the skinny side. I figured I would de-worm them all tomorrow. I'm only guessing it is frost bite since the tips of his toes are black. It could be some other something but with it recently being so cold and also the bottoms of his feet being like they are... just a guess.

I don't know much about ducks but would doubt it is any more of a stressor to bring her in to take care of her. The bigger stressor would have been catching her w/ a net, and since you don't want to put her through that again to treat her I'd say keep her safe where you can easily treat her.
Thanks for answering. That's what I thought too. That streses me, let alone her. Hopefuly she makes itand come out of this a tame duck. I feel beter now. I'l check on her and see if I can try to get some sleep

Quote:
try spraying his feet with vetrycin, if you have any, or even rubbing neosporin on them, it may give him some relief, could also be a fungus, pics will help

on the orp- it is possibly a nutrition issue, is he thin at all?
Quote: my ducks are not tame, but when i have had to bring them in they settle down pretty fast- keep us posted

Does anyone else find that the cochin develops slower than other standard sized birds?
absolutely they are slower to mature- i think 2 years to attain their full weight, right nana?
You are spot on...yes large fowl Cochins can take a full year to reach point of lay on pullets and up to two years to reach their full size. Many start laying at 10 months and some cock birds at 18 months. Cockerels feather in slower than pullets. If you love the look of Cochins and want earlier development...bantams are faster at maturing. A cross bred Cochin/Wyandotte is a fluffy version that matures more quickly and lays sooner like the Wyandotte; broods and mothers like a Cochin. Temperament is a combination of both breeds. I have chicks now.
:eek: Amazingly wonderful! I have done just enough quilting to know what a triumph it is to match that many points.
Wow Kassaundra..your Weeping Angel is lovely...stunning in fact!
LF Cochins take quite a while to fully reach their full weight and size.. and Robin you are right it usually takes 18-24 months.
Everytime I have cochin chicks with other LF chicks, I think that the cochins seem ill because they are smaller, less feathered than the others as well.
Are you hatching chicks too?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom