***OKIES in the BYC III ***

It's been one of those days that make you wonder why you have chickens. I came home to find Lord Dingwald had gotten out of his pen and got attacked by a dog. He's alive, but not well. Poor, sweet boy. He's beak-down in his bedding, and that's really bad.

I got him inside and settled, and went to take care of the big pen. While I was watering, I found Flower, my Buttercup with the vision problems and possible past stroke, laying next to the water dish. Her breathing was shallow, and when I examined her she was limp and had a bloody vent. I was carrying her inside and telling her what a beautiful and wonderful chickie she is, when she chirped once to me, seized, and died in my arms. Poor, poor girl.

And then I came inside to take care of the chicks and my Isbar hatchling with mushy chick syndrome was dead. Sigh.

I'm sorry Kelly. You've had an emotionally taxing day.

It's been one of those days that make you wonder why you have chickens.
I am so sorry! We all have had those kind of days, and if its any help, we hurt with you-
hugs.gif

Praying for Lord Dingwald... he might surprise you

Noble, Oklahoma Ordinances
(3)
Chickens or laying hens may only be kept under the following conditions:
a.
No more than four (4) chickens or laying hens are allowed per R-l-zoned parcel unless additional setback conditions can be achieved as described in subsection (a);
b.
Roosters are not allowed;
c.
The chickens are kept within a designated chicken coop and chicken run, unless supervised as described in [subsection] (b)(3)m. below;
d.
The chicken coop and chicken run shall be located in the rear or backyard of a residential property. No part of the coop or run shall be located in the side or front yard;
e.
The chicken coop and chicken run shall be attached and shall be located no closer than five (5) feet from any side or rear property lines and no closer than twenty-five (25) feet from any dwelling unit other than the owner's. Movable chicken enclosures are permitted as long as they meet the setbacks as indicated in this paragraph;
f.
The minimum size for a chicken coop shall be four (4) square feet per animal and the chicken run shall be eight (8) square feet per animal;
g.
During daylight hours, the chickens shall have access to a chicken run and a chicken coop;
h.
From dusk until dawn, chickens shall be kept within the chicken coop as protection from predators;
i.
Chicken coops shall be predator resistant and any open walls or windows shall be designed to prevent access by predators;
j.
Chicken runs shall be adequately fenced and protected from predators;
k.
The outside openings of any enclosure shall be screened to prevent the spread of disease by flies and vermin;
l.
Water shall be provided onsite and accessible to chickens at all times;
m.
Chickens are permitted to be outside of a run or coop during daylight hours but must be supervised and contained inside a fenced yard at all times; chickens that stray outside the fenced yard may be regarded as nuisance animals under [COLOR=0066CC]section 3-111[/COLOR] of this chapter;
n.
All chicken enclosures shall be cleaned regularly to prevent an accumulation of food, fecal matter, or nesting material from creating a nuisance or unsanitary condition due to odor, vermin, debris, or decay.
(4)
Outdoor slaughter of chickens is prohibited.

Thanks so much for the info! I tried to search for it myself and all I could find was very vague. Thanks again!

It's been one of those days that make you wonder why you have chickens. I came home to find Lord Dingwald had gotten out of his pen and got attacked by a dog. He's alive, but not well. Poor, sweet boy. He's beak-down in his bedding, and that's really bad.

I got him inside and settled, and went to take care of the big pen. While I was watering, I found Flower, my Buttercup with the vision problems and possible past stroke, laying next to the water dish. Her breathing was shallow, and when I examined her she was limp and had a bloody vent. I was carrying her inside and telling her what a beautiful and wonderful chickie she is, when she chirped once to me, seized, and died in my arms. Poor, poor girl.

And then I came inside to take care of the chicks and my Isbar hatchling with mushy chick syndrome was dead. Sigh.
Ah man... one of those days.
sad.png
So sorry. Any idea if Lord Dingwalds dual and Princess Buttercup issues had anything in common? I know that's not her name, but got a vision of the Princess Bride and the Lord challenging dragons with big slobbery teeth. Prayers for him. Its bad with these little chicks, but with the older birds, we have come to KNOW and will miss them more.
hugs.gif

Kelly...sorry to hear about your loss of your hen. Sure hope Lord Dingwald heals quickly. The loss of the chick was beyond your control...it happens.

I try not to get too attached to chicks. Although I always have a favorite picked in each hatch. There is one in the current hatch that is such a nice silver blue.....
We lost a hen today in the same pen where the owl had been. She was settled in the outdoor dust bathe and looked pale. I checked her and she had mites. Checking the others in the pen she was the only one infested. I removed her and soaked her in a warm bath and then with an Adams dip. Wrapped her in a towel to help her dry before putting her back with her pen mates. We were sitting in the sun at the patio table. She snoozed off and never awakened. Such a pretty Columbian Wyandotte hen. I took the time to spray the inside of their coop and changed the nests and floor bedding.
We have been distracted this week. The funeral is tomorrow.
So will do a spray job on all the coops and pens beginning Thursday.

Kassaundra, you photographs are truly a breath of Spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony O

Afton will also start on Friday, April 18th (3 days) this month for Good Friday and the Easter holidays swap. Y'all are more than welcome to stop by and say howdy. I plan to be there at the bottom of the hill, directly straight down from the gate, with "LOTS" of baby chicks. So far just out of the incubator, 80 standard (some NN too) and about 50 assorted bantys, and 20 cochin/frizzle bantams. Also some older chicks and laying hens.
What is Afton?

Afton is a town in NE Oklahoma. It's close to where Hwy 59/60/69 meet, just a half mile south of I-44 (the turnpike). They have a swap there at least once a month. It's about 3 miles south from the buffalo ranch station there at the junction, on Hwy 59, on the right.

cool.png

hugs.gif

bardies; often times a non-absorbed yolk is caused by too high a temp during incubation. Make sure that the incubator is not sitting where the sun can get at it through a window or there is not heat blowing on it from your house heating system Also was the hatch on time? Many miscount days. The day you put them in is not counted unless you set them at midnight. The first full day of incubation is the first day. Like if I set eggs today at noon I would count tomorrow as the first full day of incubation.

This is called "open navel" and you will get better results if you search that, another good search would be for soft-bodied chicks..

Kass that is one cool rooster, remember the parent stock from years ago were games and these birds will show that from time to time.
Thanks for the input, I've recently raised the temp as I've had delayed hatches with poor results. My most recent hatch was great. Not sure why all of a sudden 'this' one would have been too hot. I know that the room has been warmer though - now not freezing with the winter - (in an attached garage - so daily temp does not fluctuate too much but the ambient temp is certainly a few degrees warmer than in the previous hatch. But, one would have thought that the incubator would have been able to deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom