Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

If she was faithful, settled quickly, I only wait a couple of days watching if she is set like glue, then set eggs.

You get to where you can see the early "gathering" stage where they are on again, off again, but definitely getting ready to brood...then they set...stuck to the spot as if embedded in it...that only takes a day or two for me with an experienced broody to set eggs.

LofMc

Oh she's set (my 2nd timer), no doubt about that. I just have chicks hatching from my bators on Friday and Sunday and am thinking that is probably to soon. 3 of them are sitting on eggs at day 18, 12 and 4. My first timer will get homegrowns.

Oh she's set (my 2nd timer), no doubt about that. I just have chicks hatching from my bators on Friday and Sunday and am thinking that is probably to soon. 3 of them are sitting on eggs at day 18, 12 and 4. My first timer will get homegrowns.

I don't like giving a broody chicks or eggs due to hatch before she has been setting for 10 days or so. Though broodies can't count they do seem to go through phases as they set and with my hens it seems they are more 'ready' to have live chicks instead of eggs after they have sat about that time.... but every hen is a bit different and some may be happy to have chicks 2 days into it.

The major thing would be to watch her very closely to see how the hen reacts to suddenly having cheeping chicks instead of nice quiet eggs under her. Sometimes it isn't the chicks who have trouble with the adoption process, it is the hen.

I don't like giving a broody chicks or eggs due to hatch before she has been setting for 10 days or so.  Though broodies can't count they do seem to go through phases as they set and with my hens it seems they are more 'ready' to have live chicks instead of eggs after they have sat about that time.... but every hen is a bit different and some may be happy to have chicks 2 days into it. 

The major thing would be to watch her very closely to see how the hen reacts to suddenly having cheeping chicks instead of nice quiet eggs under her.  Sometimes it isn't the chicks who have trouble with the adoption process, it is the hen.

Thank you! Sounds like I'm getting more eggs :thumbsup

I have a first time broody who has had only one egg that has developed and is due to hatch tomorrow. I don't like it being a lone chick and it ends up being perfect timing because the feedstore is due to get chicks today. I am going to try to graft a few to her, but don't know when the ideal time is to try this-before the egg hatches or the eveung after?? I worry if I do it this evening she will move away from the egg and not left it hatch, but that if I wait she will be less likely to accept the other chicks. Suggestions?

At the same time we got eggs for the incubator, a BO hen went broody. She got 8 or 9 eggs, with 6 developing. A bunch of eggs hatched 1 day early inside and I checked her and saw at least 3 chicks (I think!). We had purebred eggs and some home bred EE eggs. My daughter wants to bring the purebred babies in and give the hen all the EE chicks. Is this a good idea? Not sure about bringing the hen hatched chicks into the brooder. Has anyone done this? Part of the rationale is that the pure chicks may be separated into their own pen at some point, but the EEs will always be with the flock.

Thanks

I have a question I've heard you collect the eggs and then give them back to the broody hen at the same time so they hatch at the same time. Where and how should you store them and for how long?

I have a question I've heard you collect the eggs and then give them back to the broody hen at the same time so they hatch at the same time. Where and how should you store them and for how long?
You are correct! Store the eggs in a carton with the big end up in a cool, humid place; somewhere around 60-65 degrees and 60%+ humidity. "Turn" the eggs a few times a day by placing a large book or something under one end of the carton for a while; then removing it so the carton is flat for a while; then put it under the other end for a while.
Eggs can be stored for up to 10 days before you start losing viablity. (some people say 7 days; shipped eggs should be no older than 4 days on the date of shipping) It is possible to hatch eggs that are older but you might have issues with viability and defects. Personally I've hatched eggs up to 17 days old. Good luck!

hi everyone little here.it's been awhile.my broody silkie is on 5 white leghorn eggs due to hatch day b4 easter.it's still real cold here blow freezing.18 this morning in the coop.should i set up the heat lamp day b4 the hatch day?the chicks are going to b big ones.and shes so small im worried she wont be able to keep them all worm.also should i put the chick starter food in the feeder now or wait for the chicks to b born?thanks in advance for the advice .i rely on you folks to educate me.

Back
Top Bottom