2. How many times do I candle the eggs?

Thanks for your help.

Question for all you veteran hatchers out there:
1. How long do I keep mom & babies from the rest of
The flock?
2. How many times do I candle the eggs?

Thanks for your help.
1) I don't. Mom and babies live with the flock
2) If I candle at all it is around day 14. Broody's know what they are doing and kick out dud eggs most often.

Waiting on my 1st broody of the year. Any day now. Last year I stopped counting broody's at 25
big_smile.png

1) I don't. Mom and babies live with the flock 2) If I candle at all it is around day 14. Broody's know what they are doing and kick out dud eggs most often. Waiting on my 1st broody of the year. Any day now. Last year I stopped counting broody's at 25
big_smile.png
Wow how many chickens do you have? I have my broody in sectioned off area. So after a few Days I can mix them in with the flock?

Quote: 74 Sumatra's (subject to change, more roosters to send to freezer camp) 17 large foul hens including RIR's, White leghorns, EE's and assorted mutts, and 11 ducks, 9 of which are female.

yes after a few days you can do a monitored integration. Watch closely as they have been seperate. Reseperate if needed

always good to see you Miss L. You seem to live in the duck and goose section
wink.png
yep I love my chickens but seem to gravitate to the ducks and geese thread the most, but I get updates for them so. I'd be here more often if they would send to my email like they use to.
Hey stony any of your ducks acting broody yet? none of mine, my goose has laid 23 eggs 4 of which I have left in her nest just in case but nothing there yet either. So far just my 2 lil bantams.

yep I love my chickens but seem to gravitate to the ducks and geese thread the most, but I get updates for them so. I'd be here more often if they would send to my email like they use to.
Hey stony any of your ducks acting broody yet? none of mine, my goose has laid 23 eggs 4 of which I have left in her nest just in case but nothing there yet either. So far just my 2 lil bantams.
not yet. I give them a month. I'm getting 4 to 5 eggs a day from them so I assume all 9 are laying. I laugh every morning now as I'm letting out the ducks. 100 feet behind me wild black ducks and mallards are swimming, quacking, grunting and doing the funky duck
big_smile.png
. Gets my girls going
wink.png
. Those sounds tell me duck breeding season is upon us
big_smile.png
. I have a few Sumatra's, a RIR, a White Leghorn and a mutt all showing the early signs of going broody. All except the mutt were broody's last year. The mutt is 11 months old.

Back
Top Bottom