Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Hi everyone this will be my first time with a broody hen and if anything hatches then it will also be my first hatch. I am on day 6 right now and candled one egg at random and it had veining! I am so excited!!! But I was wondering about the air cell size. With how hot it has been lately I'm worried that the air cell may be bigger than it should. How do you control humidity under a hen?

Hi everyone this will be my first time with a broody hen and if anything hatches then it will also be my first hatch. I am on day 6 right now and candled one egg at random and it had veining! I am so excited!!! But I was wondering about the air cell size. With how hot it has been lately I'm worried that the air cell may be bigger than it should. How do you control humidity under a hen?
You can not control the humidity under the hen. You can only control the temperature and humidity around her. My broody was panting and standing over her eggs. She looked miserable so I brought her into the house. Along with a mama hen and her 13 chicks. It is rather noisy in my kitchen!

Awesome pictures! What beautiful scenery you have there. Bella looks quite pleased with herself....
wink.png
Thank you!

What if I want to put eggs under a hen, but it doesn't go broody? (My hens haven't even started laying yet)

I don't even have nesting boxes, (dont worry 2 month until they start laying)
Chicken or egg first? The hen will not sit. She needs to be broody first. Try it with a golf ball. If that keeps her sitting all day I would think you might try but her instincts might not be developed enough. She is also still growing. Sitting like she needs to do will probably stunt her growth or make her sick and die.

Chicken or egg first?  The hen will not sit.  She needs to be broody first.  Try it with a golf ball.  If that keeps her sitting all day I would think you might try but her instincts might not be developed enough.  She is also still growing.  Sitting like she needs to do will probably stunt her growth or make her sick and die.

Just to clear this up, I am going to start by hatching purchased chicken eggs with an incubator because if my hens aren't laying I'm not going to rush them, it's not natural. I can see how that would definitely be bad for their health. I have 19 and they're only 2 months old. They're also my first and I wanted to know in the future.

You can not control the humidity under the hen. You can only control the temperature and humidity around her.  My broody was panting and standing over her eggs. She looked miserable so I brought her into the house. Along with a mama hen and her 13 chicks. It is rather noisy in my kitchen! 

You really can't control what goes on under your hen, I agree with sktlmt. My girls are sure hot in the nest boxes in this 90* heat, so I bring them the chick waterer and let them drink up for a couple minutes while I hold it. That is seeming to do the trick.

I heard peeps this morning under my one hen! :jumpy. I hope at least one other egg hatches for my other broody. There was a lot of problem with the other laying hens trying to lay in their nest. :rolleyes:

You really can't control what goes on under your hen, I agree with sktlmt. My girls are sure hot in the nest boxes in this 90* heat, so I bring them the chick waterer and let them drink up for a couple minutes while I hold it. That is seeming to do the trick.

Well my girl doesn't look uncomfortable so I'll take that as a good sign :) and I do drop by a few times a day to make sure she drinks water. I'm just worried that the air cells may be too big. I may just be over thinking things because she is my first broody.

Well my girl doesn't look uncomfortable so I'll take that as a good sign
smile.png
and I do drop by a few times a day to make sure she drinks water. I'm just worried that the air cells may be too big. I may just be over thinking things because she is my first broody.
Hmmm, air cell in the egg? How old is it? The bigger the air sack is maybe the older it is, that is what they say about the unfertile eggs in your fridge.

The new first time Mama. She has one more egg under her, but I don't think it is going to hatch. Broody Hen #2 hatched out 2 babies, but I can't get pics yet.

I had a third hen go broody, and I only have two nest boxes. I had to lock her and the other girls out because it was near hatch day. So broody number three found her own private nesting spot. :lol:

The new first time Mama. She has one more egg under her, but I don't think it is going to hatch. Broody Hen #2 hatched out 2 babies, but I can't get pics yet.

I had a third hen go broody, and I only have two nest boxes. I had to lock her and the other girls out because it was near hatch day. So broody number three found her own private nesting spot.
lol.png

Beautiful hen and chick! love the comfy safe spot the other hen settled on!

Back
Top Bottom