Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I'll say this and let it be my finish on the subject. Our chickens are free-ranged, protected by a dog during the day and locked up tight at night. I will give one example, a first time broody set on 6 eggs but only two hatched, for whatever reasons. On the 4th day, the hen had them outside in cold rain-blowing weather and it was almost cold enough to snow. I figured nature would take it's course and it did. When the chicks got a bit uncomfortable, they would run up under momma's skirt for a while then back out to pick and play.

Some will say the fact that these were White Chanteclers made the difference in their abilities to withstand the weather but I totally discount the breed. It was the hen's ability to care for her chicks. They ate from the layer feed and every other place they could find a bug, seed or something to gulp. By three weeks, they were eating a few BOSS and they were well protected from all comers that dared challenge them. They're weaned now but still hang with mom a bit but they have learned the 'pecking order' because mom quit defending them about 3 weeks ago and they roost together on their own, on a low rung. This is just one of several examples. If I have to treat brooded chicks like incubator chicks, I can't see the point. The only difference they were treated was worming with a substance more gentle for all the youngsters as they came of age and the next time, they will be wormed like the adults. Everyone dusts in Sevin-5% and are bug free.

Good luck with your chicks.
I definitely second that Turk Raphael. My first broody this year hatched during temps in the 30-40's. They were outside within a few days of hatch...because mama took them there. There were out with frost, rain, and wind. They learned chicken things far earlier and better than my store bought chicks that were a month older! A good broody is worth more than all the fancy equipment combined in my opinion! I think we sometimes tend to forget they have natural instincts...we are the ones that treat them like pets. True, I very much enjoy caring for and spoiling my chickens, but I believe they know better than I do what they need to survive and thrive.

I am so done raising babies in a brooder. No more. The most I will do is separate mom while she's broody until the chicks are big enough to run. My Buff Orpington girls are too sweet to defend their babies. Not my Wyandottes. They are mean mama's and their babies do great right on the yard with the flock. I don't own an incubator. I always wanted one. Now? I just don't want to raise brooder babies again. The hens do a much better job than I do.

I am so done raising babies in a brooder. No more. The most I will do is separate mom while she's broody until the chicks are big enough to run. My Buff Orpington girls are too sweet to defend their babies. Not my Wyandottes. They are mean mama's and their babies do great right on the yard with the flock. I don't own an incubator. I always wanted one. Now? I just don't want to raise brooder babies again. The hens do a much better job than I do.
Yes. It's so true that a broody is easier to use, more reliable, and a super time saver. The only drawback is that you can't incubate 40 chicks at once. LOL

Yes.  It's so true that a broody is easier to use, more reliable, and a super time saver.  The only drawback is that you can't incubate 40 chicks at once.  LOL

Then you need more broodies!! :lau

Although we currently have 4 hens with chicks from 5 days to 5 weeks and another 3 setting on eggs, and it gets a bit busy keeping track of all of the littles when we close up each evening.

So, this girl is a bit protective, but her chicks started hatching last night. I've seen at least 3 at once, but I'm not sure if her other eggs have hatched yet. I gave her 10. She won't let me anywhere near them.

I am new to the natural incubating. My blue Cochin is on day 19 and when I checked before bed there had been no external pips. I did notice her chuffing a lot but not in an agressive way. I think I saw where momma would talk to their chicks while in the shell twards hatching. Is that correct?

I am new to the natural incubating. My blue Cochin is on day 19 and when I checked before bed there had been no external pips. I did notice her chuffing a lot but not in an agressive way. I think I saw where momma would talk to their chicks while in the shell twards hatching. Is that correct?

Yes, the hen usually will start 'talking' to the eggs around day 19, I believe they are hearing the chicks as they are shifting around in the egg and definitely after internal pipping has occurred. I have heard chicks talking back before hatch also.

My dog always knows before I do that the chicks are hatching. She checks the broodies daily, (usually multiple times a day) and when hatch is imminent she will glue herself to the front of the box with her ears perked listening to the chicks and hen and waiting for her first glimpse of the little ones.

Yes, the hen usually will start 'talking' to the eggs around day 19, I believe they are hearing the chicks as they are shifting around in the egg and definitely after internal pipping has occurred. I have heard chicks talking back before hatch also.

My dog always knows before I do that the chicks are hatching. She checks the broodies daily, (usually multiple times a day) and when hatch is imminent she will glue herself to the front of the box with her ears perked listening to the chicks and hen and waiting for her first glimpse of the little ones.

Thanks, I talk to mine all the time when I incubate but wasn't sure if momma really did. Oh fingers crossed for babies tomorrow! How sweet about your dog! My dog doesn't care one way or another about my chickens other than eating their poop!

Thanks, I talk to mine all the time when I incubate but wasn't sure if momma really did. Oh fingers crossed for babies tomorrow! How sweet about your dog! My dog doesn't care one way or another about my chickens other than eating their poop!

Oh, our dogs do that too :sick

But Mindy loves the chicks, and the broodies are so used to her that they aren't even phased by it.
A few of her older shots...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom