Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

It depends on the hen. Some breeds like my silkie, my bantam orp, and my seramas can go broody any time of year. But my large fowl breeds like my Easter Eggers and Orpingtons tend to only go broody in spring/summer.
These darn birds just dont give u a break do they? Looks like I'll have to make that roll away nest box a bit sooner. She has 7 eggs to hatch. 10 or so in there last time I checked. When she hatches the 7 I am removing the others. Hopefully she will not try for another nest soon.

:gig My three resumed laying for a week before all three were piled in a nest again.
Oh my! But I'm not one to criticize. I'm overrun with broody hens right now.

My silkie, Xansie, is still playing mama to her chicks. (4 orpingtons and 3 seramas)
IMG_4653 (2).JPG

My big Orpington, Jewel, is caring for and free ranging with her chicks. (2 silver laced orpingtons - others were sold)
IMG_4646 (2).JPG
IMG_4669 (2).JPG

My serama, Sesame, is caring for her 4 chicks in the bantam broody coop. (2 Mod game bantams & 2 unplanned seramas)
IMG_4638 (2).JPG

My son's serama, Coge, joined her in the broody coop a week later with her chicks. (one silver laced Orpington and one serama - others were sold)
IMG_4642 (2).JPG

My bantam orp, Cookie, is not far behind them with eggs due next week. Isn't she adorable?! Her chicks were hatched May 1st. She was still mothering the remaining babies (3 turkeys and one orp) up until the end of June. She layed for about 2 weeks, then started the cycle over again. Since I had 6 eggs in the incubator, I just slipped them under her to finish up.

She's my professional broody. This will be her 3rd hatch this year (1st hatched end Dec but raised in Jan, 2nd = May 1st, and 3rd = July 30th.) She may even decide to hatch again if the fall/winter is mild. She tends to have 3-4 broods per year. Motherhood is her calling.
IMG_4678 (2).JPG

My goal is to sell the chicks. However, I learned never to sell ALL of a hen's chicks. That's why we have so many small groups. The summer weather's nice, so I've been letting them go broody if desired.

@Faraday40
Love seeing your group doing its thing. Cookie is quite the stellar broody. Love how she adopts everything you happen to hatch and give her. It was her in the brooder with 20 some chicks once, if I recall correctly.
I have 2 similar hens. Both are mutts by birth but stars in my eyes for their abilities with the babies. Once someone has been lucky enough to experience a super broody it is hard to go back to raising chicks any other way.

So I am looking at roughly Tuesday/Wednesday for some chicks to hatch. I have a separate elevated coop the hens only use to lay eggs. Thats where momma hen is brooding. Should the chicks be ok in here?
I have difficulty integrating chickens in with this group and the chicks are part experiment to see if the Gold Comets accept them more easily. That is why I don't want to separate, also because I just got my garage back from CX.

I have used broodies for a few years now and usually the chicks are pretty wild. This year my (wild) little bantam hen went broody for the first time and I let her hatch out 4 of her own eggs (couldn't buy sexed layer chicks due to the shortage). I also decided these babies *will* be tame even though they are raised with a wild mama outdoors.

8 weeks later and these are the tamest chicks I have ever had! I can walk right up to them as they free range and scoop them up. I handled them all the day they hatched and every day since (at bedtime) and boy has it paid off.

Last edited:
My first hatch...... look what surprise I got today....
Made my day! :wee:celebrate
View attachment 2265873

Ok I say "mine" like I did anything but feed her. She did all of the work. Starter feed, water, and vitamin water. Anything else I need to do now?

Many people will pen the hen/chicks up for a few days in the hen house before they mix with the flock.
Personally I keep the hen/chicks in a pet carrier or separate pen inside the hen house *at night* for several weeks. That lets me bring them a bedtime snack of gruel or scrambled egg and handle/tame them in the process, plus that ensures they can eat first thing in the AM and won't compete with the big birds during the breakfast rush.
If you have any snakes around the coop be extra sure the chicks are protected at night.

My first hatch...... look what surprise I got today....
Made my day! :wee:celebrate
View attachment 2265873

Ok I say "mine" like I did anything but feed her. She did all of the work. Starter feed, water, and vitamin water. Anything else I need to do now?
Oh one more thing -- I feed everybody (chicks, hens, roosters, etc...) game bird feed or starter with oyster shell on the side for the layers (unmedicated of course).
I have never ever had a broody raised chick that runs around outside get diarrhea/coccidiosis likely due to the natural environment and microbes. Since everyone is on the same feed that allows the chicks to wander with the flock and not have to worry about keeping birds out of the wrong feed dishes.

Many people will pen the hen/chicks up for a few days in the hen house before they mix with the flock.
Personally I keep the hen/chicks in a pet carrier or separate pen inside the hen house *at night* for several weeks. That lets me bring them a bedtime snack of gruel or scrambled egg and handle/tame them in the process, plus that ensures they can eat first thing in the AM and won't compete with the big birds during the breakfast rush.
If you have any snakes around the coop be extra sure the chicks are protected at night.
Thanks for all the wisdom. I have had difficulty adding chicks or chickens to this flock. The gold comets are a bit aggressive. I am hoping the broody hen can do better than me and the integration will go better.

Back
Top Bottom