Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Thanks for all the wisdom. I have had difficulty adding chicks or chickens to this flock. The gold comets are a bit aggressive. I am hoping the broody hen can do better than me and the integration will go better.
Yeah I have had issues with aggressive production layer types too. Let the flock see them but do separate for 3-4 days so the chicks get more mobile and learn to follow the hen's directions better, they are slow and kind of dopey the first few days.
If in doubt separate longer, many folks use baby pens for a few weeks before completely mixing them and often doing it when the flock free-ranges is the best time for their initial introduction, the older birds will quickly wander off instead of staring/obsessing over the chicks all day.

Yeah I have had issues with aggressive production layer types too. Let the flock see them but do separate for 3-4 days so the chicks get more mobile and learn to follow the hen's directions better, they are slow and kind of dopey the first few days.
If in doubt separate longer, many folks use baby pens for a few weeks before completely mixing them and often doing it when the flock free-ranges is the best time for their initial introduction, the older birds will quickly wander off instead of staring/obsessing over the chicks all day.
Good advice. That's what I try to do.

On the plus side, you'll have a far easier time with integration when your mama is a more aggressive hen within the flock. She'll fight the battles for them and they'll instantly enjoy her status.

Last edited:
Good advice. That's what I try to do.

On the plus side, you'll have a far easier time with integration when your mama is a more aggressive hen within the flock. She'll fight the battles for them and they'll instantly enjoy her status.

A few weeks ago I introduced the hen/chicks to the flock that way only over several days, every time I let the big birds out to free range the baby pen was opened too so there was a little mixing but not too much (then they went back in the baby pen at bedtime). The mama hen was a new and very nervous so it let her adjust a little at a time without feeling overwhelmed.

I open my baby tractor after they're around three weeks old—basically when they get a goodly number of feathers and start to look restless to me. It's got a little door that swings out. I put a cement block or a big flower pot or something to block the door so it can't swing open far enough to let the bigger chicks/adults in. (They love the baby food.) The littles come and go as they please. I haven't had any problems doing it that way except if I use something lighter to block the door. Then it's just food-stealing by the bigs. They all forage together.

When it comes time to move the littles to the main tractor, I have to catch them and toss them in there for 3-4 nights (every night more go in on their own), but that's the only hitch.

There are the usual pecking order spats, but those haven't been a big deal so far. I haven't added any breeds known for aggressiveness, though.

Ok wisdom givers... . Momma has 5 chicks. She has gotten off the nest to teach the chicks to scratch and drink. It's been at least an hour off the nest. Is she done sitting? Problem is 1 is half pipped. I see a little beak breathing and 4 eggs unhatched. I do not have an incubator. Should I attempt to intervene?

Ok wisdom givers... . Momma has 5 chicks. She has gotten off the nest to teach the chicks to scratch and drink. It's been at least an hour off the nest. Is she done sitting? Problem is 1 is half pipped. I see a little beak breathing and 4 eggs unhatched. I do not have an incubator. Should I attempt to intervene?
Yes, it sounds like you should.
Use an incubator, use (are you female?) your brassiere, a heat lamp, or even the oven if you must.
Once upon a time before incubators, the oven set on its lowest setting with the door open was the solution. Don’t forget that a damp sponge should be nearby if you’re using electric heat.

Use an incubator, use (are you female?) your brassiere, a heat lamp, or even the oven if you must.
Once upon a time before incubators, the oven set on its lowest setting with the door open was the solution. Don’t forget that a damp sponge should be nearby if you’re using electric heat.
Thanks. I am still working on it. I've seen people put hardware cloth over water to maintain moisture. Quickest thing I can come up with. Might have to amazon an incubator. I will cover so the eggs aren't directly baked by lamp.

Attachments

• 20200729_124437.jpg
    20200729_124437.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 4
I can try to borrow my wife brassiere but I dont know if it will help much

Back
Top Bottom