Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Thanks. I am still working on it. I've seen people put hardware cloth over water to maintain moisture. Quickest thing I can come up with. Might have to amazon an incubator. I will cover so the eggs aren't directly baked by lamp.
You could also try a heating pad or heat lamp for warmth.

Eggs and newly hatched chicks can go dormant (not dead) for a little while. (Cold & limp bodies - not stiff) It's some type of survival adaptation. I've revived a couple cold chicks just by warming them up. Likewise if eggs get cold, they may only be delayed in hatching -not dead.

The other thing that could be happening is the mama feels those eggs won't hatch, so she simply left the nest. Nature is nature and can sometimes be sad. It's still worth a shot to try warming them up but I doubt an Amazon incubator would arrive in time. It might be worth it if you intend to hatch more in the future.

We have a couple home-made cooler-bators. (My 10 year old used an Incu-kit to make his. Plus cooler, plexiglass, and duct tape.) If you're not ready for that I love my little Harris Farms Nurture Right 360. It's just about the easiest incubator out there and doesn't take up a lot of space.

IMG_4477 (2).JPG IMG_2859.JPG

The other thing that could be happening is the mama feels those eggs won't hatch, so she simply left the nest. Nature is nature and can sometimes be sad. It's still worth a shot to try warming them up but I doubt an Amazon incubator would arrive in time. It might be worth it if you intend to hatch more in the future.
I have moved eggs pipped and left to another broody or an incubator. Once in a while they hatch, but usually they don't or die shortly... The eggs may have been later added eggs and may hatch.... although I had have them develop but not hatch

A fly layed eggs on the pipped chick. No way I could have removed them. Would have been crawling with maggots.
Trying to save the remaining 4 eggs. This was a mixed hatch. The "incubator" is roughly 102 and eggs are up to 98 now. Will keep an eye on it. Could still be a week more. $35 incubator on amazon can be here Friday?

A fly layed eggs on the pipped chick. No way I could have removed them. Would have been crawling with maggots.
Trying to save the remaining 4 eggs. This was a mixed hatch. The "incubator" is roughly 102 and eggs are up to 98 now. Will keep an eye on it. Could still be a week more. $35 incubator on amazon can be here Friday?
102 will kill
100f is the goal in a incubator without a fan

while shutting up the coops tonight I found one of my 9 wk old chicks snuggled in the nest box with the 2 wk old chicks and their broody. Then when the other three 9 wk olds went in, one of them squeezed in with her too, while the remaining pair are cwtched up just in front of it; so cute! (The 9 wk olds' own broody decided this week that she's had enough, and has been beastly to them to drive them away.)

Is permethrin dust ok for chicks? While tending to the pipped egg I saw a tiny little thing run across the shell. Suspecting mites, have to investigate hens further

I would say a small amount would be safer than risking the mites on them. Often broodies are prone to parasites due to reduced dusting time, if you dust the hens the chicks will probably get some on them too from crawling through mamas feathers.

I would say a small amount would be safer than risking the mites on them. Often broodies are prone to parasites due to reduced dusting time, if you dust the hens the chicks will probably get some on them too from crawling through mamas feathers.
Thanks, will dust momma a little bit then. And tiny bit in nest boxes likely this weekend after a good clean.

I've had to dust a broody while on eggs & with chicks. I have some plain DE (diatomacious earth) which is the main ingredient in many pest control dusts. If I suspect mites or lice, I clean out their brooder or nest box then sprinkle some DE before I add the new nesting material/ bedding. The birds may roll around in it so the application takes care of itself.

I also have a permethrin spray. I use that in the coop and wait for it to dry / air out before letting the chickens back inside. It works great on killing bugs, but I wouldn't want to apply it while my chickens are around. It has a strong smell.

Back
Top Bottom