Here are the two olive eggers

Attachments

• IMG_1733.png
    IMG_1733.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1734.png
    IMG_1734.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
I will get a better picture tomorrow, but in the meantime here is a funny close up picture of Olive(r). I think at this point I would fall out of my chair if this chicken would lay an egg! I have never seen a 5 week old pullet with this big of a comb.

And just for fun, I’m wondering if his (?) parentage has a Cream Legbar in it because there is the smallest little poof developing on his head!

Attachments

• AA4BEB84-C340-40B6-9ED2-A8AE5170D673.jpeg
    AA4BEB84-C340-40B6-9ED2-A8AE5170D673.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 11
I’m starting to think my olive eggers are actually brown leghorns which males and females have combs.

I have a two week old Olive Egger (supposedly) pullet right now, and I guess I am a little confused on the breed in general. When I look up pictures, they all look different... Olive Eggers are a mix of different breeds, correct? So do their colors vary greatly? Right now mine is starting to get darker grey feathers.

Also, since the beginning "she" has always looked taller than normal, which I chalked up to the breed (since I'm new to Olive Eggers). I got her with a Salmon Favorelle, so I figured their body types are just different. I'm assuming it's too early to tell, but what would be the early signs of a roo particularly in an Olive Egger? I'm crossing my fingers for a pullet, since she was ordered from my local feed store as a pullet batch!

Any info on the breed/sexing would be fantastic!

There are so many different blue egg laying breeds & hybrids (?) now, that it would be hard to determine which breeds created your OE unless you were informed at purchase. With both Ameraucana & CLB, there are also many varieties (colors) - both accepted & project.

With this chicks looks, I would say no Ameraucana breeding up close - since no pea comb, no muff or beard & such bight yellow shanks & toes (accepted Ameraucana have slate/dark grey blue). Other than that, the field is wide open, LOL. Even the dark egg laying breed is open, as I've now seen at least 2 other breeds laying eggs every bit as dark as the original Marans used to create the OEs many years ago when I first got my start in chickens. At least 2 breeds I have seen eggs in person are Welsummers & Penedesenca. I've even seen really dark eggs (6-7.5 ish on the Marans color scale cards) from the hybrid called a "Cherry Egger"!

Out of curiosity, are Whiting True Blues & Whiting True Greens considered a breed now (not APA accepted) or would they still be considered hybrids? Have a friend who had WTGreens that lay darker/brighter blue eggs than any of my BBS or Self Blue Ameraucana OR my CLBs did... Both breeds & different varieties came from different breeder lines. Incidentally, I had several CLBs that laid cream tinted eggs & none ever really laid a true blue either. More of a green, than blue...

and I never "got off the ground" as a breeder. I had issues with not one, but 3 different types of incubators & finally gave up for a while...

Also, can anyone tell me what "button" I pushed that has caused all the icons at the top of my posts to be unavailable? Logging out & logging back in haven't upgraded it back. I've been a member for years, this is a new (& FRUSTRATING) issue. Also, only using a Samsung G24 phone, no acess to a computer/laptop lately... I still have the bottom 2 - attach files & insert quotes.

Screenshot_20240727_090842_Chrome.jpg

An olive egger is any bird that has both blue egg shell and brown egg color genes. So there are a lot of different ways to make them by crossing blue egg and brown egg laying breeds.

Here's pictures of two of mine (pullets).

Cute birds! And case in point to my above post.

Your "blue bird" (w/ red leakage?) has a pea comb, no beard or muffs & slate shanks. I love blue birds & she is pretty.

Your black bird has a crest & what appears to be a black single crest & black shanks & beak. CURIOUS what breed was used to create her! Are Ayem Cemani the only breed w/ black combs/beaks & shanks? Silkies do, but they have other traits that are dominate that are not present in this bird. I've heard Ayem Cemani produce "black/grey" eggs & have seen several posters here refute that & say they only lay cream tinted eggs. I have no idea... "shoulder shrug"...

Also, can anyone tell me what "button" I pushed that has caused all the icons at the top of my posts to be unavailable? Logging out & logging back in haven't upgraded it back. I've been a member for years, this is a new (& FRUSTRATING) issue. Also, only using a Samsung G24 phone, no acess to a computer/laptop lately... I still have the bottom 2 - attach files & insert quotes.

View attachment 3902728
And, I finally got it to work... took several tries, but now have it back. I've always had some issues w/ searching on BYC & my search terms weren't working.

But then had Larry's help, deleted Chrome history/cache & its back!!

Edited to remove double quote & add - :celebrate :ya

There are so many different blue egg laying breeds & hybrids (?) now, that it would be hard to determine which breeds created your OE unless you were informed at purchase. With both Ameraucana & CLB, there are also many varieties (colors) - both accepted & project.

With this chicks looks, I would say no Ameraucana breeding up close - since no pea comb, no muff or beard & such bight yellow shanks & toes (accepted Ameraucana have slate/dark grey blue). Other than that, the field is wide open, LOL. Even the dark egg laying breed is open, as I've now seen at least 2 other breeds laying eggs every bit as dark as the original Marans used to create the OEs many years ago when I first got my start in chickens. At least 2 breeds I have seen eggs in person are Welsummers & Penedesenca. I've even seen really dark eggs (6-7.5 ish on the Marans color scale cards) from the hybrid called a "Cherry Egger"!

Out of curiosity, are Whiting True Blues & Whiting True Greens considered a breed now (not APA accepted) or would they still be considered hybrids? Have a friend who had WTGreens that lay darker/brighter blue eggs than any of my BBS or Self Blue Ameraucana OR my CLBs did... Both breeds & different varieties came from different breeder lines. Incidentally, I had several CLBs that laid cream tinted eggs & none ever really laid a true blue either. More of a green, than blue...

and I never "got off the ground" as a breeder. I had issues with not one, but 3 different types of incubators & finally gave up for a while...

View attachment 3902728

I’ve never heard of Whiting True Blues/Greens! The egg colors sound beautiful though.

Here is an updated picture of my Olive Egger, whom I’m pretty sure is a rooster! He’s a little over 7 weeks

Attachments

• 691045A2-5210-4D87-BAAA-43C0F361EAC4.jpeg
    691045A2-5210-4D87-BAAA-43C0F361EAC4.jpeg
    563.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 3536CB04-B403-4A1D-9B36-4533B7CA7B1A.jpeg
    3536CB04-B403-4A1D-9B36-4533B7CA7B1A.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 10
I’ve never heard of Whiting True Blues/Greens! The egg colors sound beautiful though.

Here is an updated picture of my Olive Egger, whom I’m pretty sure is a rooster! He’s a little over 7 weeks
Here's a link to the Whitings True birds. I think only one hatchery sells them -

Whiting true birds
Murray Mcmurray WTB

As to your EO, the large, red comb & red wattles say boy, but i can't tell from his neck feathering yet...

Edited to add - going out to the 2 links I've provided answered my questions, too, about the WTB & WTG birds.

Back
Top Bottom