Olive Egger.... What crossbreed? Boy or girl?

With the Legbars, the girls have a really dark, strong stripe the middle of the head, neck, and back. The boys' pattern is kind of diluted with faded rather than crisp edges, and it's lighter.
Ya, the fadedness of the males is caused by having two barring genes.
No barring in this case so they changes things.
Mahogany will darken the pattern and cream will lighten it so if one or both of those are in the mix things get more complicated.

Ya, the fadedness of the males is caused by having two barring genes.
No barring in this case so they changes things.
Mahogany will darken the pattern and cream will lighten it so if one or both of those are in the mix things get more complicated.
Well, when I ordered these eggs, it was the randomly assorted "bargain basket" and I didn't know what I would get. Dot, one of my Opal Legbars, was so broody so often that I decided to stop fighting nature and let her have a chance at motherhood with some cheap eggs. She's incredible. Such a devoted and attentive setter and mother. (The other two Legbars wouldn't dream of going broody!) It just so happens I got this little Olive Egger, and I'm now hoping it's a female so I can get some Olive colored eggs! It's definitely a very calm, friendly, smart, and assertive little chick. So I guess it might make a good rooster too, but I would rather have a purebred rooster that matches one of the breeds I already have, than a hybrid.

3 weeks old now. I'm still thinking female...? The breast feathers coming in have a hint of salmon.

Attachments

• IMG_20240817_154203223_HDR~3.jpg
    IMG_20240817_154203223_HDR~3.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom