One eye closed and acting Broody

bumblerumble20

Chirping
May 22, 2020
Hi there again,
I have one hen that has one eye closed, it looks a bit swollen-no discharge and she is in the egg box and acting broody. When I take her out of the egg box she is not happy at all and makes lots of noise and puffs up and runs back to the egg box. She seems broody but that and the swollen eye are concerning. When I take her out of the egg box the top hen pecks her and goes after her. Maybe it’s a pecking accident that caused her eye to be closed and swollen? Please advise.

I think you're right. The hen definitely sounds broody, and broody hens get picked on. The eyes are a frequent target. You might want to take a look at that eye, though, and see how bad it is. You should separate her from the other hens, either until you break her of broodiness, or until her chicks are old enough.

Can you post any pictures of the eye? Is there any bubbles or foam in the eye, or crusty drainage? Does she have missing feathers on her chest, which most broodies have?

I think you're right. The hen definitely sounds broody, and broody hens get picked on. The eyes are a frequent target. You might want to take a look at that eye, though, and see how bad it is. You should separate her from the other hens, either until you break her of broodiness, or until her chicks are old enough.

I looked at the eye. There is no drainage and no bubbles or foam. Her lungs sound clear. She has feathers missing from her head and she does have feathers missing from her chest.
She is isolating herself. None of the hens want to be around her so they are roosting in an area away from her while she sleeps in the egg box. This has been going on for a few days but I didn’t notice the closed eye until this evening.

Here is a pic of her eye.

Attachments

• 7278FE0A-D594-4944-B92F-0579DDB265E8.jpeg
    7278FE0A-D594-4944-B92F-0579DDB265E8.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 14
Moniter the eye. As long as it does not remain swollen/closed for an extended period of time, and shows none of the symptoms listed by Eggcessive, I would leave it alone. Do with her whatever you normally do with a broody.

I would try to really determine if she is having all of the signs of a broody hen, pulling an egg under her, clucking, running back to the nest box after being removed, and hold her tail in an inverted V. Some sick or bullied chickens will take refuge in a nest box. Make sure that she is eating and drinking. If you do not plan to have her hatch eggs, break her right away in a wire dog crate with no bedding. Give her food and water and secure it to the cage.

I would try to really determine if she is having all of the signs of a broody hen, pulling an egg under her, clucking, running back to the nest box after being removed, and hold her tail in an inverted V. Some sick or bullied chickens will take refuge in a nest box. Make sure that she is eating and drinking. If you do not plan to have her hatch eggs, break her right away in a wire dog crate with no bedding. Give her food and water and secure it to the cage.

Eggcessive-thank you for your response. I really appreciate it and know you have lots of experience as I have read links and Posts you have done.
She is def pulling eggs under her and has her tail fanned and acting broody. I have seen it before. I have us lots of problems with bullying with this flock and now I am worried she will def be a target by isolating herself from the flock.
How long do I keep her in the dog crate for? A day it too? She stays there all night?
Thanks again. I’m going to check her eye again right now.

Back
Top Bottom