One eye closed and acting Broody

Eggcessive-thank you for your response. I really appreciate it and know you have lots of experience as I have read links and Posts you have done.
She is def pulling eggs under her and has her tail fanned and acting broody. I have seen it before. I have us lots of problems with bullying with this flock and now I am worried she will def be a target by isolating herself from the flock.
How long do I keep her in the dog crate for? A day it too? She stays there all night?
Thanks again. I’m going to check her eye again right now.
Eggcessive-thank you for your response. I really appreciate it and know you have lots of experience as I have read links and Posts you have done.
She is def pulling eggs under her and has her tail fanned and acting broody. I have seen it before. I have us lots of problems with bullying with this flock and now I am worried she will def be a target by isolating herself from the flock.
How long do I keep her in the dog crate for? A day it too? She stays there all night?
Thanks again. I’m going to check her eye again right now.
[/QUOTE

Her eye looks slightly better. The upper kid is swollen but no discharge or foam. I have her in a dog crate in the basement with food and water. Should I have her in the run in the dog crate so she’s near the other hens but they can’t get at her?
Thank you!

To break a determined broody, I start out with 3-5 days. My pen is outside in a 6-7 ft wire pen on the ground, and it has a roost. A wire dog crate is used by many, and some elevate the crate off the ground to provide more air circulation. I usually give some scrambled egg in addition to the food and water. If your pen is on the ground, she might enjoy scratching for a few treats. The first day they are not very active, but eventually they will walk around. Most hens break after the 5th full day, but one stubborn hen I have takes twice that long. She can remain with the flock in her crate to lessen any bullying when let out.

To break a determined broody, I start out with 3-5 days. My pen is outside in a 6-7 ft wire pen on the ground, and it has a roost. A wire dog crate is used by many, and some elevate the crate off the ground to provide more air circulation. I usually give some scrambled egg in addition to the food and water. If your pen is on the ground, she might enjoy scratching for a few treats. The first day they are not very active, but eventually they will walk around. Most hens break after the 5th full day, but one stubborn hen I have takes twice that long. She can remain with the flock in her crate to lessen any bullying when let out.

Thank you! You are the best!!!

Back
Top Bottom