Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

Pics
It can be done but the difference in the fabric density from the top and a sheet background is a tension nightmare. Unlike regular sewing machines are sensitive to fabric densities as they are going all different directions an often at a much higher rate of speed than a regular sewing machine. If the density of the fabric differs greatly between the top and back you will usually not have good tension on the curves or quick changes in direction as you are moving an industrial machine rather than the fabric.

It can be done but the difference in the fabric density from the top and a sheet background is a tension nightmare. Unlike regular sewing machines are sensitive to fabric densities as they are going all different directions an often at a much higher rate of speed than a regular sewing machine. If the density of the fabric differs greatly between the top and back you will usually not have good tension on the curves or quick changes in direction as you are moving an industrial machine rather than the fabric.

Good to know, thank you. I wonder about cheaper sheets vs the high thread count sheets, if that would make a difference as well, say 200 ct vs 800 ct, or something along those lines. I guess if we are "pioneering" and we have to work with what is available, a sheet is an option (though mine are used until they are not fit for anything other than being ripped up for emergency bandages!)

I'm a longarm quilter (10 years) and I have had a few customers use sheets as backings. I really dislike the denser, unwashed sheets the most. I don't recommend sheets at all, but I also understand that not everyone can afford backing fabric.

Just doing a rainy day project, getting my supply of mug mats replenished. Gave the last one away as a housewarming gift this past weekend. I had been making some braid blocks and I really did not want to continue, so I cut them up to use as the backs for some of these.

Attachments

• DSC04382.JPG
    DSC04382.JPG
    404.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC04383.JPG
    DSC04383.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom