online hatcheries with low minimums?

vjbakke

Songster
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
MN
What are some online hatcheries that have low minimums for ordering chicks? Our local feed store has 25 min, we are only planning on getting 6 or less. I know of my pet chicken. Others?

Quote:
They also have a

CITY-TOWN PULLET SPECIALS"
OR
"SMALL ORDER SPECIALS"

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page10.html#citytown

Ideal
Ordering Policy and Special Services

MINIMUM ORDER: The minimum dollar value for an order is $25.00 in poultry, excluding male only chick orders.

There is no minimum number of chicks you can order as long as your total order of poultry is $25.00, not including shipping and handling.

http://www.ideal-poultry.com/

I ordered from Cackle one of the city town specials. I like the way they pack the birds the best. I have ordered small orders before and I think they have the best packing out there. You really have to know what you are doing packing that few of birds because of the heat/cold weather conditions. Not to many understand that, they just want two or three birds and don't understand and research what it takes to get them there safe.
big_smile.png

I was just venting to myself about the limits. I don't want another 25 ( fear of chicken math ) I only wanted 3 chicks from 3 different "rare" breeds but couldn't find anyone who breeds them with order sizes less than 25.

California Hatchery has a 3 chick minimum-- I am not sure what the going rate is for shipping at other sites, but its alot more than the price of the chick-- I got 15 chicks (free shipping for 15) yesterday they are great. This Hatchery communicates by email not great PR, but they are efficient and responsive thru email. Also its a real Hatchery not a broker like some of the other sites (that contract out to other places to actually supply the bird)...

25 minimum from a feed store? Is thas their minimum for special request orders or for chicks in stock?
My local independent feed store claims a 6 chick minimum (He said 6 is a USDA regulation because they're flock livestock.) but they will sell me 3, as I'm in frequently for various bit and pieces and I already have a small flock.(purchased from them)

Back
Top Bottom