Order Up. Toaster oven Hatch-A-Long

Pics
All quiet so far. Humidity looks to be setting to mid 60s since I added water for lockdown
IMG_4616.png

We’re having a warm day so I took Dutch Baby and Chicken Noodles outside. I decided to try introducing them to my Momma hen Gena and the other babies. When I put the first one in Gena looked her over then just started treating her like one of her own.
Then Gena heard the other baby peeping and couldn’t see her. She looked upset that she couldn’t see the second baby. So I showed it to her and she took it as her own. I’m I’ll keep an eye on them for a while before I open the door to the rest of the flock but I have a feeling Gena will mother them and won’t let me take them back inside to the warm brooder. Here’s to hoping everything works out and I have an empty brooder for this batch

The toaster oven babies are the light colored ones with fluffy feet

Super cool that momma Gena took the 2 right in "under her wing".

You got a great girl there, and super good asset to your breeding program 👍♥️

Super cool that momma Gena took the 2 right in "under her wing".

You got a great girl there, and super good asset to your breeding program 👍♥️
Gena has been a great momma hen for sure. I think she has started wearing the chicks. She still lets them go under her for warmth and makes sure they all go inside at dusk but she doesn’t keep them nearly as close to her. She gives them more freedom to go exploring on their own. If they call for her she clucks back so they can find her. If they have trouble finding her she goes to them.

Gena has been a great momma hen for sure. I think she has started wearing the chicks. She still lets them go under her for warmth and makes sure they all go inside at dusk but she doesn’t keep them nearly as close to her. She gives them more freedom to go exploring on their own. If they call for her she clucks back so they can find her. If they have trouble finding her she goes to them.
That's awesome...Joannie was a great momma also. IIRC, she didn't start weaning til like 8 weeks, and then she started booting Prince first.
Momma weaned her latest hatch after around 5 weeks, and it was immediate like a switch flipped. I hope Joannie goes broody this year, she skipped last year. ♥️

Back
Top Bottom