Oregon

Hi Everyone,
I posted this question in the Washingtonians thread as well, (I'm in Vancouver WA) so I hope the double post is OK...
I am wondering if anyone knows of somewhere in the Portland (Other than OSU Corvallis) that I can send my birds to for a necropsy? I can send them overnight to OSU's avian lab, but it's going to run me about $200. I've called quite a few vets offices and no one knows enough about chickens to perform the necropsy. Hoping you guys may have a tip for me. Thanks in advance!

Hi Everyone,
I posted this question in the Washingtonians thread as well, (I'm in Vancouver WA) so I hope the double post is OK...
I am wondering if anyone knows of somewhere in the Portland (Other than OSU Corvallis) that I can send my birds to for a necropsy? I can send them overnight to OSU's avian lab, but it's going to run me about $200. I've called quite a few vets offices and no one knows enough about chickens to perform the necropsy. Hoping you guys may have a tip for me. Thanks in advance!

OSU Corvallis should charge you $35 for necropsy, $5 disposal fee and $8 accession fee or about $48 before shipping. I have heard of some people putting the (refrigerated) bird on a greyhound bus to save shipping? not sure how much it would cost or how to even do that...

UC Davis Tulare will do a necropsy for $120 and they will let you use their FedEx acct to make shipping "cheaper" but not free. It is costly for out of CA state senders. cheaper if it is within CA, to CA.

also these costs are just necropsy... if you require "testing" they charge you extra (tell them to ask your permission 1st).

Last edited:
OSU Corvallis should charge you $35 for necropsy, $5 disposal fee and $8 accession fee or about $48 before shipping. I have heard of some people putting the (refrigerated) bird on a greyhound bus to save shipping? not sure how much it would cost or how to even do that...

UC Davis Tulare will do a necropsy for $120 and they will let you use their FedEx acct to make shipping "cheaper" but not free. It is costly for out of CA state senders. cheaper if it is within CA, to CA.

also these costs are just necropsy... if you require "testing" they charge you extra (tell them to ask your permission 1st).
Thanks Farmer Viola. I spoke in detail to the Avian Lab at OSU yesterday. I was quoted the $48 for the necropsy and $25 for Histo Pathology. I was told I would need both services to check for Marek's. I walked the bird into USPS and was quoted $117 for next day delivery from SW Washington. Which is why I was asking for tips on a cheaper option, maybe locally.

Thanks Farmer Viola. I spoke in detail to the Avian Lab at OSU yesterday. I was quoted the $48 for the necropsy and $25 for Histo Pathology. I was told I would need both services to check for Marek's. I walked the bird into USPS and was quoted $117 for next day delivery from SW Washington. Which is why I was asking for tips on a cheaper option, maybe locally.

Have you tried calling a university in WA? Perhaps one you could drive to, in order to save shipping?

Have you tried calling a university in WA? Perhaps one you could drive to, in order to save shipping?
Yes, and I am going to have to go with the WSU Avian lab in Puyallup, only because their testing fees are cheaper. But it's about 3 hours away and shipping is the same. I really hope they are able to tell me why they are dying....

Yes, and I am going to have to go with the WSU Avian lab in Puyallup, only because their testing fees are cheaper. But it's about 3 hours away and shipping is the same. I really hope they are able to tell me why they are dying....

what are their fees? I am also looking for the cheapest option :)

sorry to hear about your bird/s. your other option is to perform a necropsy yourself. if you process your own poultry for meat, it would give you an idea of what looks "normal" in there.

you may also be able to find a how-to guide online (I swear there is one on BYC but I cant find it) of how to take out each organ for inspection, with photos. I understand if you don't want to do it. just throwing it out there in case it's helpful :)

I picked up my new geese a few days ago :) I told myself i was going to be good this year & not add to my flock of hens ---- So i kind of stuck to the plan
lau.gif

I am finding a new favorite relax time. Go out and sit in the chicken garden..turn on some relaxing music from iheart radio and all my girls come and sit on me. they absolutely loveit!

Hi Everyone,

Ask the labs if they get deliveries through/for any of the labs. When I was in CA we could send stuff to UCDavis through IDDEX lab. Much less than USPS, Fedex, etc and it got there that night if we caught the midnight driver.

Back
Top Bottom