Oregon

Hello, OREGON!

I am your friendly neighbor in Vancouver, WA and I have a question for you!

Where ON EARTH can I find some fertilized chicken eggs at the grocery store????

Yes, they actually sell them at some grocery chains (like Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc).

I'm trying to cheaply perfect my incubation technique and think it would be a fun experiment...

...but I can't find any ANYWHERE! Even some cheap, local barnyard mixes would be fine.

Have any of you managed to find them at the store???

This is where I have looked:

Trader Joe's, Portland OR
Trader Joe's, Vancouver WA
Whole Foods, Vancouver WA
Natural Grocer, Vancouver WA
Fred Meyer, Vancouver WA

I would be THRILLED if any of you have seen them!

I haven't yet found a store near Portland with fertile eggs. I called several places and they acted like I was crazy.

Whole foods offered to send some to their Vancouver, WA store but I would have to commit to FIFTEEN DOZEN! They'd sell them to be at 10% off but still... That's a lot of eggs. =( Unless I had people join in on it, I just want four dozen. Lol. That's A LOT of eggs.

Here is the reply when I inquired:

"Thank you for thinking of us. We carried these a few years ago, but they never sold well enough for us to keep them around. Sorry for the bad egg news! If, however, you were interested in buying an absurdly large amount of eggs (split with a few friends, perhaps?) we can special order a case of 15-dozen, and offer you 10% off for buying big-time. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Have a lovely week"

Last edited:
Oh, when I said "experiment" I meant more in the sense of seeing if grocery store eggs could actually hatch.

As far as my own incubation technique? I candle on the first day to check air cells. Then, 7th and 18th date.
Eggs are incubated in a Janoel 48 with an automatic egg turner.
Humidity is kept at 30% through-ought incubation.
Humidity is increased to 60-65% at lockdown.
Eggs that have weird looking air cells get put into trimmed-down egg cartons.
Otherwise, they get put into lockdown on their sides.

I really just want some practice, and would like to see if those fertilized grocery store eggs can actually hatch!

But I would love a chance to incubate some eggs for someone/friends/family/etc.

Sounds like a good incubation method :] If you decide you want to try any of mine let me know, all I ask is that you update me on their progress as they grow as I'm interested to see how phoenix crosses with my hens will turn out. Mine are also from organic mothers and roo if you are looking for organic eggs.

I haven't yet found a store near Portland with fertile eggs. I called several places and they acted like I was crazy.

Hello, OREGON!

Yes, they actually sell them at some grocery chains (like Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc).

I'm trying to cheaply perfect my incubation technique and think it would be a fun experiment...

...but I can't find any ANYWHERE! Even some cheap, local barnyard mixes would be fine.

Fred Meyer, Vancouver WA

I would be THRILLED if any of you have seen th

Hello, OREGON!

Fred Meyer, Vancouver WA

I would be THRILLED if any of you have seen them!
I have called all over and no one sells fertile eggs... You can buy fertile eggs from Aloha Feed and Garden you need to call and order them. They are mutt chickens! Last summer they were $4 a dozen. I got 7 eggs and 6 were fertile and 6 hatched under my broody Mama.

I'm really suprised Freddy's didn't have any in their organic section, they carry a large variety of eggs. Do you have a Life Source? I read somewhere that sometimes the chain grocers have fertile eggs. I hope you find some and share the outcome! This is a neat experiment!

I live in Beaverton, OR, and I keep looking too as I think it would be fun to hatch store bought eggs...but alas Trader Joe's here doesn't....and I have not seen any in the store.

I'm pretty sure I saw some in New Season's one time, but I've not seen it in a long, long time.

Post if you find any as that is one of the projects on my wish list too. :D

Lady of McCamley

PS: Ludenman's in Beaverton, their "Healing Ponds" chicken/feed store often has fertile eggs. I think they are more "mutt" mixtures of various layers at about $3 to $4 a dozen (????)... Tammy at the store is pretty good at tracking stuff down for you if they don't have it immediately and will take a wish list. :D

Last edited:
I bought some cage free eggs and I just wonder if they're fertile but not marked as being so? I'd be half tempted to try to incubate them anyway just to see, you'd be able to see development by day 3 or 4.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom