Oregon

Quote:
Right?? They are amazing creatures!!

I have 4 that are raising babies right now (1 of which has already started laying again
ep.gif
) and 3 more that are setting right now.
thumbsup.gif
I NEVER get tired of watching a mama hen with her babies!!
love.gif

I haven't been there yet. I was a Naomi's Organic Farm Supply groupie until they lost their home. I work in the Pearl, but live out in Clackamas, so I've been exploring feed stores in the sticks (Estacada, Barton, Eagle Creek) as well. I also quite like Concentrates for close in and Foster Feed up on Foster Road not far from Zenger Farm. I kind of love poking around feed stores! This summer, I got a huge burlap bag of seed potatoes free from Clackamas Feed because they were almost past their best and they were going to toss them out.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's cool, nice find!
smile.png
I used to frequent Barton Feed, and occasionally went to the other ones out that way. Now I'm a Wilco girl since the old Canby Farm Garden & Pet went under. I love feed stores too!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes they are, and they get their chix from Pete's Peeps out in Estacada. He's the same guy who takes back roosters, and will often take other unwanted birds. He will be supplying Livingscapes next year, too. Great to know our chickens are coming from local sources.
smile.png

Quote:
I like Burns on Orient Dr. in Gresham. Barton is OK, but I don't like how their chicken and duck room smells. They will take roosters in, though, and even pay you a bit for them.

Is Naomi's gone then?
sad.png
I knew they were trying to stay - I guess the lesson is don't build your building on a lot line, even if you have the lease to both lots! Was there no way to tear down part of the building and add to the other end? I got my first Golden Lakenvelder from them, who has recently started laying. My second layer, my first white/cream/tinted layer.
smile.png
I was thinking of trying to hatch a few of her chicks while she's still fertile from my Buff Brahma boy who had to go. Maybe if I do and get a girl I'll name her Naomi...

Quote:
X2

If my yard were set up like that, I'd do the same thing! I like the block stepping stones, too. Are they the 60 lb or the smaller ones?

Hmmm, they definitely don't weigh 60 lbs. Maybe 12 lbs? The small size means if they are standing on them, their bums hang off the edge. They are tall enough so that the birds don't kick too much onto them. I rarely get poop on them. They do have a little edge on the bottom meant for stacking, but I just push them into the ground to even them out. In the rain and muck, I can tip toe to the coops and collect eggs in my slippers. I go through the window! Rarely use the gates. LOL.

Here's a better picture of them, the one under the window is probably a 60lb one....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/75545_img_0638.jpg

Well, you inspired me. I got a bunch of urbanite stepping stones today (and a little workout loading and unloading them haha).

I hope Nando stays quiet for you. You can always check with Pete who's at the Urban Farm Store on weekends - he often takes in roosters, even if you didn't get them there, and has a no kill policy...after all that, though, I'd want to keep him.

Quote:
I like Burns on Orient Dr. in Gresham. Barton is OK, but I don't like how their chicken and duck room smells. They will take roosters in, though, and even pay you a bit for them.

Is Naomi's gone then?
sad.png
I knew they were trying to stay - I guess the lesson is don't build your building on a lot line, even if you have the lease to both lots! Was there no way to tear down part of the building and add to the other end? I got my first Golden Lakenvelder from them, who has recently started laying. My second layer, my first white/cream/tinted layer.
smile.png
I was thinking of trying to hatch a few of her chicks while she's still fertile from my Buff Brahma boy who had to go. Maybe if I do and get a girl I'll name her Naomi...

Burns feed is awesome. Love the old feed stores with the big porch!
smile.png
Never been to Naomi's...

I like Bentley's feed in Molalla too
smile.png

Quote:

Is Naomi's gone then?
sad.png
smile.png

Naomi's is mobile for the time being, you can order from their blog and pick up at one of their drop sites. I haven't ordered anything from them since they've been mobile tho. I tend to do the "OH poop I'm out of [feed, grit, scratch, whatever]" and run to make the emergency purchase.

Yeah, I don't know that I would buy any chicks from Barton, but they were friendly enough when I was there a couple weeks ago. And they stock a lot of local/organic stuff which is nice. The kid/owner who was following me around is super geeked out on his poultry, but the living conditions looked less than ideal.

Speaking of, does anyone here use Q-bar feed? it is available through Naomi's (they also advertise on Craigslist) but I would love to know if anyone is using it and what their thoughts are. I use Payback organic feeds, but would love to keep things local.

Back
Top Bottom