Our first hatch - CPQ

Fair enough. We have no idea what we're looking at, so we'll probably leave it a bit longer. We've seen lots of videos of people candling coturnix, but nobody seems to bother with buttons. I'm assuming it's because it's hard to see anything going on in something so dark, and tiny.
If I were still raising buttons, I'd do a series on them. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my buttons with me when I moved. I would rather like to have them again someday, though.

If I were still raising buttons, I'd do a series on them. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my buttons with me when I moved. I would rather like to have them again someday, though.
I'll be following your posts just in case you do.

Day 5

Nothing to report so far.
No bad smells, no leaking... Just me helicopter parenting these gorgeous little eggs.

That's a relief, none are cracked. Was told they could burst if they go bad, I've been worried about it since. :idunno
There are eggs that burst or explode, but they are rare and are usually cracked to begin with. If you candle before you put the eggs into the incubator, you can spot the small cracks that you won't see otherwise.

There are eggs that burst or explode, but they are rare and are usually cracked to begin with. If you candle before you put the eggs into the incubator, you can spot the small cracks that you won't see otherwise.
We've not candled them yet, I was worried about shaking them up again. They are shipped eggs, but all arrived in one piece. In hindsight, I should have candled them before resting them. I will have a go at candling them tomorrow.

Day 6

We did it. After spending hours binge watching candleing videos, we plucked up the courage and gave it a go.
Out of 12 shipped eggs, I think we have;
4 non starters,
1 maybe/maybe not, and..
7 good looking eggs.

I don't see any vains, movement or detail, but they're just so small and dark that I think dark shadows are the best we're going to get for now.

Fingers crossed these little guys make it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom