Owning chickens in Meriden, CT

LittleBeepo1

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Hello!

I live in Meriden, CT and I was wondering if anyone from my area had any problems getting permits for owning chickens? I called the city hall and they told me I apparently need to pay $160 and submit a million documents to get on a waiting list for my application to even be seen by members of the board of appeals that only meet once a month. And even after all that it is just to request a special exception permit to have chickens on my property. Has anyone had to do this? I don't want to pay $160 and wait who knows how long just for them to tell me "uh sorry, no chickens allowed at your house".

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Jessica

Hi Jessica! I live in Berlin, right by the Meriden line. I did find this on here with ordinance.

From reading that, this is what I found:
2)] Crop and tree farming, keeping of farm animals, except for fur-bearing animals raised for commercial pelting, greenhouses or nurseries. (c) [3)] Riding academies and stables for rental to the general public of animals in the equine family or commercial kennels, subject to the following conditions: [1] [(a)] The minimum site area for any of the above uses shall be three acres. [2] [(b)] No barn, shelter or other building used for the housing of said animals or the storage of feed and supplies shall be located closer than 60 feet to any property line. Waste materials shall not be stored or located closer than 100 feet to any property line.

So how much land do you have? If you have more than 3 acres, I don't think you need a permit. If you have less land, then they are probably making you apply for a variance or a special use permit. Which from my experience.. they deny a lot. Let me know if I can help in anyway! We're practically neighbors
smile.png

Oh poo, that really stinks. I don't have even an acre. But it is quite a coincidence that you live on the Berlin/Meriden line because I do too! Thanks for your response, much appreciated!

Honestly though, if your neighbors won't mind, keeping a few hens probably wouldn't be an issue if you have nice neighbors. In Berlin you need 3+ acres too (I have that) but a lot of people don't, but get the okay from their neighbors. Offer them some eggs! One of my neighbors doesn't meet the 3+ acres and has lots of chickens and no one complains. If needed you could always rehome them.

That's true, my neighbors are really nice, I'm sure they wouldn't mind. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom