Peafowl Poop - Normal and Abnormal - Lots of poop pictures

Pics
I am very thankful for all your guys's help I really need it I have never done this before and have no idea what I am doing and another question do I just like put some on my finger and rub it in their mouth or something? Or feed each one separately their own amount?

The dose is usually described as pea sized for chickens. A lot of people put iy on a small piece of bread, like a treat. And yes each bird gets a piece.
A pea size amount has about 25mg of fenbendazole, which is not enough to treat most worms.

-Kathy

Poult, go to Tractor supply and get a 3ml syringe. Do you or your parents have a scale that you weigh yourselves on? You're in the 9th grade, right? With a scale and a little math you should be able to figure out how to dose each bird. Weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding a bird. Subtract the smaller weight and that's the weigh of your bird, right? Then take the weight of that bird and multiply by 0.23 and that is the amount to give. Make sense? Paste or liquid, doesn't matter, you give the same amount.

-Kathy

This is why it's important to understand how much your bird weighs and how many mg/kg your bird should get. Giving too little worming medication can cause resistance to wormers or not kill them,

Do you have any idea how many mg's of wormer are in a "pea size" amount? Well I was curious, so I measured it.

From left to right:
Small = 10mg ( 0.1cc) = enough for a 200 gram (7 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Medium = 25mg (0.25cc) = enough for a 500 gram (17 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Large = 50mg ( 0.5cc) = enough for a 1000 gram (35 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg

This was my experiment

• Weighed empty 6cc (ml) syringe

• Filled with 6ml of Panacur 10% paste and weighed. Difference is 6 grams, so 6 grams = 6cc's (ml)

-Kathy

Last edited:
I should explain further into detail what kind of birds I am treating.

2 female geese that are ten months old.8-19 lbs each.

2 muscovy drakes ten months old too.7-9 lbs each.

8 chickens all except one weighing between 3-5 lbs one weighing about 1 lb.All well over a year old.
You should get some liquid Safeguard for goats or Valbazen, one tube of horse paste won't be enough.

-Kathy

Thank you for correcting me Kathy. (I am going to stop trying to remember all of these wormer dosing facts and write them down!!)

You know how OCD I am about weighing, lol, it was driving me nuts to see the "pea sized thing" being the recommended dose. Also have done it for ivermectin. People recommend giving the same "pea size" amount of that, but it's actually way more ivermectin than you're supposed to give, it's 10x the normal dose!

-Kathy

Quote: For me it's all about knowing the mg/kg. With that all that's needed is a little math.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom