Pecked eye treatment

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
So this happened overnight and this am. She was fine last night.

She was separated right away and is eating and drinking fine.

Thought about spraying vetericin on it but don't want it to go in her eye.

What else can I do? Other eye is fine.
20240521_123022.jpg

Attachments

• 20240521_123012.jpg
    20240521_123012.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 1
Poor baby - hope she recovers quickly.

Use a saline flush and follow up with terramycin ophthalmic ointment. You can usually get that at Tractor Supply. If you can't get it you can use regular neosporin without pain killer. Probably 2x daily.

If it develops pus in the eye - you will need to remove it. There are videos on this forum that shows how to do that.

Thank you!

We did the saline plus neosporin, already better from 8 hours separation. Eye is fully open again and swelling down. Picking up the other ointment in the am and will continue.

Observed the flock at roosting time. White Brahma seems to be the culprit she was stalking our lav orps going for their eyes too. We caged her as well. Odd they have been so calm for 2 years just the most laid back birds of the flock. Never an issue. Strange.

May order pinless peepers never used them and worried about damaging nostrils let alone getting them on her.

Poor baby - hope she recovers quickly.

Use a saline flush and follow up with terramycin ophthalmic ointment. You can usually get that at Tractor Supply. If you can't get it you can use regular neosporin without pain killer. Probably 2x daily.

If it develops pus in the eye - you will need to remove it. There are videos on this forum that shows how to do that.

Smart to find and separate the culprit. Sometimes a simple separation will be enough to put the separated bird down a notch or two on the hierarchy scale. Chickens are constantly vying for top spot whether we see it or not, sometimes it is simple, sometimes more outlandish. I have never used pinless peepers so I cannot say anything for or against them.

Glad your girl is better today! Hope things work out all around.

Also note, that the longer the birds are separated the harder reintegration will be. If you can keep them in a "look, no touch" scenario. A dog crate inside the coop/run does well in this environment. :)

Smart to find and separate the culprit. Sometimes a simple separation will be enough to put the separated bird down a notch or two on the hierarchy scale. Chickens are constantly vying for top spot whether we see it or not, sometimes it is simple, sometimes more outlandish. I have never used pinless peepers so I cannot say anything for or against them.

Glad your girl is better today! Hope things work out all around.

Also note, that the longer the birds are separated the harder reintegration will be. If you can keep them in a "look, no touch" scenario. A dog crate inside the coop/run does well in this environment. :)
Thank you! Yep that's exactly what we did. 2 wire dog crates in the enclosed run.

Glad we had time to sit and observe last night. They are all out now free ranging but when it's time to go back inside they will both be separated again. One for healing and one in a time out. 🤣

Glad we have the wire crates we use them alot for varying reasons. 👍

Back
Top Bottom