Pekin Egg Color Question - Can they lay blue/green eggs?

Iamgrateful

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
My Pekin duck female just laid her first egg and it is a light blue/green color. I thought Pekin eggs were white? Is a blue/green color normal?

Last edited:
You may have a Pekin cross with another kind of duck...... Could you post a pic of her? or the egg?
The Pekin egg is the top egg that looks blusish/green.

Here are the ducks...one male and one female. Picture was from when they were a bit younger. Can get a more recent pic if you need but they look just like Pekin ducks to me.

I know this is an old thread but today one of my pekins laid a green egg. I was wondering if anyone figured out how this could happen. I only have 4 pekin ducks. They are almost a year old and have only laid white eggs until now. Could she be sick?

I know this is an old thread but today one of my pekins laid a green egg. I was wondering if anyone figured out how this could happen. I only have 4 pekin ducks. They are almost a year old and have only laid white eggs until now. Could she be sick?
Not necessarily can you post a pic? Hopefully someone else has seen this with their Pekins..

Last edited:
I have a suspicion. Blue eggs are white. There are only two colors of eggs. Brown and White. In Americaunas and Mallards, other color layers, it is a benign virus actually bred into them...they're counting on it being there...that causes blue and green eggs. Most people don't know that, but expectations are that if they buy certain birds they'll get blue or green eggs. Its a virus that colors the eggs. Otherwise, they'd be white.And that's something to look into. Where did it come from for her to get that ability. I'm hearing Perkins pay blue to green support shiny eggs. Pekin owners say "then they aren't purebred". Not so. And your post proves it. Your duck changed color. Its a virus. Mystery, now? Where did it creep in from.

I have a Pekin who lays white eggs regularly but has layed 2 green eggs this year. Both at random times, not in succession. I did notice this time that it happened after letting her forage where there were a lot of acorns. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but would love to know more about this. She seems very healthy so I don't believe she is sick. Anyone have any info that would shed some light on this?

Back
Top Bottom