Peking duck acting...strange. I'm worried about hwr

KristinsQuax

Hatching
Jun 17, 2020
Hi all, I've lurked here for ages, so thank you for the indirect great advice.

I have a +\- 4 month old Crested Pekin that is just...wrong. She's normally running with the rest of the flock, exploring the yard and destroying things. But yesterday I noticed she seemed listless and out of it. She just swims In circles in their little pond, finally getting out and then just going to stand in the coop.

I described it to a friend as "when you lose your keys at work and are trying to look for them but suddenly everyone needs to talk to you" distracted. Otherwise, She's alert, has no ( that I can tell) breathing, vision or other issues. she reacts to the other ducks and the chickens, then goes back to being restless

I caught her, which would usually be a chase, but wasn't. Checked her out. Her feathers are fine. I can't really see her vent and didn't want to flip her all around digging for it. Eyes and beak seem ok. I palpated her abdomen and don't feel an egg. She's not eating and didn't even look at the mealworms I offered, which is her favorite thing ever.

I put her up in a crate away from the other birds for now. She's still just kind of turning restlessly, adjusting her wings nonstop and fanning her tail.
I haven't seen her poop yet, so no info there.

I don't know what to do with her. I'm giving her nutridrench and some corid (just in case) in her water, but she's not drinking so far. I can obviously shoot the nutridrench into her mouth directly, but haven't gone that far yet. I have injectable penicillin from an unrelated chicken event, but I'm wary of giving her that blindly as well as unsure of dosage.

Any ideas?

Thank you for the links! I wasn't going to literally shoot it down her throat, poor word choice, but I welcome the feedback. I've hand raised a big parrot before, but it's been a minute. Her crest is around 1.5-2 inches tall.

I should have added: I have four cresteds, and three look similar, but I'm fairly sure this is the one that has has a seizure before, maybe 6 weeks ago. She was fine, then suddenly on her back twitching, then after a few seconds of panicked mothering on my part, was fine again. I haven't seen a reoccurrence since.

Thank you for the links! I wasn't going to literally shoot it down her throat, poor word choice, but I welcome the feedback. I've hand raised a big parrot before, but it's been a minute. Her crest is around 1.5-2 inches tall.

I should have added: I have four cresteds, and three look similar, but I'm fairly sure this is the one that has has a seizure before, maybe 6 weeks ago. She was fine, then suddenly on her back twitching, then after a few seconds of panicked mothering on my part, was fine again. I haven't seen a reoccurrence since.

ETA: apologies. I caught a big snake in the coop as I was looking over the second thread and wasn't focusing. Her issue does seem to be neurological. I didn't know that about the Crested ducks, so no more of them, ever, and thank you for the info. I have four, that I can tell, big drakes out of my 18 assorted ducks and two mallard drakes. They are in my older batch of quacks from last year, which generally stays a bit apart from the younger ducks, including the cresteds. I hope one of them wasn't rough with her.

Back
Top Bottom