Peking mates with a Muscovy?

Muscovy are ducks they just aren't mallard derived. they are their own species.
They can be crossed but you get some very interesting results. If you cross a Muscovy male with a Pekin female you will hatch moulards (or mule ducks); if you cross a Pekin male with a Muscovy female the progeny are called hinnies.

If the eggs become fertilized, you will get a cross between the two. This cross is called a mule duck because indeed muscovy's are not descended from the mallard duck.

Most likely I have these ducks (bought at a market as a duckling and the parents are unknown).

They are bred for the foie gras (don't google it if you like ducks😳)

Attachments

• IMG_20211222_152259566.jpg
    IMG_20211222_152259566.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211222_152518369.jpg
    IMG_20211222_152518369.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 3
If the eggs become fertilized, you will get a cross between the two. This cross is called a mule duck because indeed muscovy's are not descended from the mallard duck.

Most likely I have these ducks (bought at a market as a duckling and the parents are unknown).

They are bred for the foie gras (don't google it if you like ducks😳)
Your ducks are lovely

Muscovy are ducks they just aren't mallard derived. they are their own species.
They can be crossed but you get some very interesting results. If you cross a Muscovy male with a Pekin female you will hatch moulards (or mule ducks); if you cross a Pekin male with a Muscovy female the progeny are called hinnies.
Thank you @Miss Lydia . I have a young male Peking that decided to come live with my Muscovies. Just wondering if it is best to separate until I can find him a few females.

I don't see why unless you don't want mixes. I think having built-in crowd control is as good thing myself. What I mean by that is offspring will be sterile. Did this Pekin just show up one day?

Good to see you back!

I don't see why unless you don't want mixes. I think having built-in crowd control is as good thing myself. What I mean by that is offspring will be sterile. Did this Pekin just show up one day?

Good to see you back!
Funny how he got to our farm. A neighbor brought him late at night saying he was in their yard acting weird. He thought he was ours because we have all white Muscovys. He had herded the duck to our house and the duck went with him. So I was able to pick him up, which I thought was weird because my Muscovys don't like to be touched much less picked up. Also, he was so light. Anyway, it was late and dark, so I just took him to an enclosure we have close to the house and left taking him back to the flock for the morning. In the morning my husband went out to take him when he shouted, "This is a Peking!" None of my neighbors knows where he came from. So that's how he came to our flock. All our ducks are free to come and go, but he has decided to stay.

Funny how he got to our farm. A neighbor brought him late at night saying he was in their yard acting weird. He thought he was ours because we have all white Muscovys. He had herded the duck to our house and the duck went with him. So I was able to pick him up, which I thought was weird because my Muscovys don't like to be touched much less picked up. Also, he was so light. Anyway, it was late and dark, so I just took him to an enclosure we have close to the house and left taking him back to the flock for the morning. In the morning my husband went out to take him when he shouted, "This is a Peking!" None of my neighbors knows where he came from. So that's how he came to our flock. All our ducks are free to come and go, but he has decided to stay.
I am glad to be back. It has been quite busy around here. We have only had one loss since it all began.

Back
Top Bottom