Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Also, does anyone know of anyone selling mandarins in the western PA area? Sorry, for all the questioning, but recently cleaned out the aviary and need some colorful birds to fill in

I know I was kidding but they do roam around here though.
I did keep a ringneck hen in my aviary for a while for a friend while she healed from an injury, but while she was in there this GINORMOUS wild ringneck male was sticking around and calling to her. I mean this guy was like the size of a goose! He must have been a jumbo ringneck or something, because he was hug!

I wish I were closer. You have beautiful Light Sussex.
Hi,
Yes, they were beautiful. SQ and closely line bred on a 3x APA Grand Champion cock who was the sire of all the 1/2 siblings in my foundation trio. Unfortunately, last winter an 80ft. pine tree fell on my grow out yard. That put a real crimp in my breeding plans. Because the birds needed to be bred this season to advance the breeding plan, I gave them to a nearby farmer in Blairsville , PA who had purchased my Light Sussex from me the year before and was so enthusiastic about what I was doing. Creating a brand new strain of Light Sussex, SQ and of pure English strains. Both sides of the breeding program have proven winning parents very close up in the pedigrees. If you are interested in the birds, I can give you Farmer Karl's contact info. I know he will do well by them. He is an experienced and prize-winning breeder of Penciled Rocks. If you talk to him, see if he has any birds out of Tux, my best stud cock I gave him who is a grandson of the 3x APA Grand Ch. cock on both sides of his pedigree. Yes, last year I did a strain cross to a proven show hen from another SQ pure English strain of Light Sussex. It was a lovely nick so there is plenty of diversity there for linebreeding without crossing strains again.
3 years and hundreds of dollars went into creating that foundation. I think in a couple of years, Karl can win with them in Columbus. Yes, I think he can beat Sandra Ross. The pullet in my avatar is May, my best breeding hen who Karl now owns. The males in the flock are very prepotent for their positive traits. Karl has the only breeding flock of these genetics in the USA. He got them before I got around to spreading the genetics around.
Be
Karen

Last edited:
Also, does anyone know of anyone selling mandarins in the western PA area? Sorry, for all the questioning, but recently cleaned out the aviary and need some colorful birds to fill in

I'm sure none of us have an issue with you asking questions. I am also pretty sure that we feel bad that we can't help. :hugs

Last edited:
lau.gif
I think it is like making babies cute. If all roosters were ugly and mean, no one would ever keep them.
Guineas are ugly and mean, but people still keep them. Of course they have other "endearing" qualities that a roo can only aspire to.

You're right about them needing to be be pretty though. I sometimes wonder if you could sex chicks by personality. Takes too much time to ever catch on commercially, but it could be useful for some people if it was proven accurate.

Sold the 2 red coops today. Just the white one left. I didn't know the address hadn't gone in the ad in spite of my efforts. He drove around Waterford for an hour before he spotted the coops in the backyard. He has bantams and they are his eye candy. He dotes on them. Likes to watch them run around his yard. Is looking for more bantams. Doesn't care which breed as long as they are colorful, quality, and healthful. Does anyone have any leads for me within driving distance of Ligonier, PA 15658?
 Thanks,
 Karen
 ​

Thera a guy in Hastings that had white crested black polish bantams for sale for $3.50 each. He always sells out fast though.

If you're looking for bantams, I almost always have some Silkie bantams in my grow out pens that I'm looking to sell. I know it doesn't matter but most are show quality. If you are interested, please pm me for more details.

How far are you from Altoona/Ebensburg? I may be interested in a couple. Are they bearded?

Back
Top Bottom