Permethrin spray/feather lice question

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
I have the permethrin spray (martins 13.3% and I have it diluted to .5oz per gallon per the instructions). Is it enough to spray the bird anywhere, or do I have to get it on the abdomen. I have 3 roosters that I cannot catch and a couple of hens as well. I managed to get close enough to spray them on the vent, but that's about it. Will that be enough? I think the roosters keep reinfecting my hens. The nonbred hens have no lice, but the younger, more favorable hens do have adult lice/eggs on them still.

Either go out after dark and take them off the roosts and treat them, or lock them in the coop at dark and go out in the morning and take them out one at a time and treat them. You will need to do that at least 3 times at weekly intervals. The chemicals kill the bugs, but not the eggs, so you have to do repeat treatments to get the ones that continue to hatch. You can also pull off nits at the base of feather shafts manually, to help rid them, if it's lice.
You also have to clean out and treat the coop to get any that hide there. Remove all bedding and nesting material, spray the coop getting all nooks and crannies, replace with fresh bedding and nesting material. Same schedule as the bird treatment.
More info here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Back
Top Bottom