Pest control and chickens

Attachments

• 20240624_102514.jpg
    20240624_102514.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1
Sevin is not organic. It is in the Carbamate class of insecticides. At one time Sevin was approved to kill fleas on adult dogs. Sevin has a very short half life. Apply it late afternoon after bees have left for the day and it will not harm them the next. When it is first applied it is lethal to a broad spectrum of insects. One of the safest pesticides that I know of. Are the grasshoppers just in lawn grass or have they invaded your garden?
not a lot in the garden as I'm planing much of it late, but they're there. Most of my concern is my elderberries, destroying them🤬😭. Can I put Permethrin on late in the eve like Sevin and not kill bees

Yup, that's def a grasshopper, not a locust. 👍🏼 Thanks for the pic. @WannaBeHillBilly has a tale to tell about their ducks going nuts eating grasshoppers a couple years ago! Apparently they are irresistably delicious, at least to ducks. Hey, Wannabe, can you link your grasshopper tale here? I will never forget that story ...

Grasshoppers are free chicken food. I would recommend simply letting your chickens eat them instead of poisoning the land. Get some game chickens if you need more efficient pest control

My own chickens keep all bugs under control and no predator can catch them
Game chickens? Do they play chess? Just a little levity
What are considered game hens? Or I can just research

not a lot in the garden as I'm planing much of it late, but they're there. Most of my concern is my elderberries, destroying them🤬😭. Can I put Permethrin on late in the eve like Sevin and not kill bees
Yes, as @LTAY1946 explained you can apply it later as it doesn't have a long life. Do you have hives or just mean bees in general? When we had hives, they'd cluster to it just before dusk, and were in hives by dusk.

Back
Top Bottom