Photo Critique Club

Post #1300 go look at it and vote below

• Total voters
Pics
What are your thoughts on this photo?
DSC_0794.JPG
I love it!

I'm going to start by saying that sky photography is HARD. No matter what you do, unless you're shooting with some neutral density filters or a shield of some kind that can block out the most intense part of the sunlight, you're going to have blown out clouds every time. Especially mid day when the sun is brightest. Effectively getting daytime clouds usually involves combining multiple bracketed exposures and postprocessing to balance out the hot spots and highlights. You can have a lot more luck around sunrise and sunset, or on days where you have more overcast than direct sun. Always remember to get it as sharp and focused as possible, and try not to shoot directly into the sun because it will end up give you hazy, blown out shots.

The other thing you want do do is find the drama in your clouds. Often it's better to use them as an accent piece in a scene rather than as the entire shot.

Here's a brigtly lit daytime shot. Notice I'm facing with the sun over my right shoulder and using the cast shadows for extra impact in the scene.
View attachment 3162254
Here's a somewhat bland sunset with some cloud cover. Pretty, but nothing to write home about.
View attachment 3162232

Here's a more dramatic one.
View attachment 3162239

Here's a fairly overcast sunset. Again, not a lot of drama, but you get some good textures.
View attachment 3162237

And a couple with storms. Notice in these how the Clouds are adding drama to the scene but aren't the entire focal point.
View attachment 3162233View attachment 3162234
This one wasn't as good in color as it is in Black and white.
View attachment 3162235

Sunrise example.
View attachment 3162236

And here's one in the dark. MAX drama.
View attachment 3162231

Hope that inspires.
Last one, Whoa! Amazing shot!
Cactus one is my favorite.

I'm going to start by saying that sky photography is HARD. No matter what you do, unless you're shooting with some neutral density filters or a shield of some kind that can block out the most intense part of the sunlight, you're going to have blown out clouds every time. Especially mid day when the sun is brightest. Effectively getting daytime clouds usually involves combining multiple bracketed exposures and postprocessing to balance out the hot spots and highlights. You can have a lot more luck around sunrise and sunset, or on days where you have more overcast than direct sun. Always remember to get it as sharp and focused as possible, and try not to shoot directly into the sun because it will end up give you hazy, blown out shots.

The other thing you want do do is find the drama in your clouds. Often it's better to use them as an accent piece in a scene rather than as the entire shot.

Here's a brigtly lit daytime shot. Notice I'm facing with the sun over my right shoulder and using the cast shadows for extra impact in the scene.
View attachment 3162254
Here's a somewhat bland sunset with some cloud cover. Pretty, but nothing to write home about.
View attachment 3162232

Here's a more dramatic one.
View attachment 3162239

Here's a fairly overcast sunset. Again, not a lot of drama, but you get some good textures.
View attachment 3162237

And a couple with storms. Notice in these how the Clouds are adding drama to the scene but aren't the entire focal point.
View attachment 3162233View attachment 3162234
This one wasn't as good in color as it is in Black and white.
View attachment 3162235

Sunrise example.
View attachment 3162236

And here's one in the dark. MAX drama.
View attachment 3162231

Hope that inspires.
"Gee, that sky looks familiar...oh, it's azurbanclucker...no wonder."

Back
Top Bottom