Pine pellets for coop bedding??? Does it work?? I'm curious....

Pics
I am completely wrong. It wasn’t mold. It was a shelless egg one of my pullets laid. I feel like an idiot
I was wondering as when I don't have time or we're gone, my macaw parrots will have a 2-3" pile of mushy poo below where they perch most of the time. There's only pellets in a bin in one of there cages as he poops water constantly. Never had any of their piles of poop get moldy either. Although, out comes the fruit flies!

@Debbie292d, do you usually scoop pine pellet litter? Sorry if I already asked this question😅
We leave it. Our silkies scratch around it in and keep it circulated but if they didn't, a metal rake moves them around easy.

Every March/April we get a wheelbarrow and grain scoop and haul it out. It is now mostly sawdust and dried-up pulverized chicken poop. We put some of that around trees, in the garden, and in the compost bins. It's 100% pine, now fertilized. :)
:caf

I'm glad this thread popped back up because I'd like some opinions.

I'm still loving the pellets but we had a torrential downpour recently that basically blew water sideways into the run and now all the pellets have turned into sawdust. Should I scoop everything out and start over? Or just rake the sawdust around and not worry about it?

I'm glad this thread popped back up because I'd like some opinions.

I'm still loving the pellets but we had a torrential downpour recently that basically blew water sideways into the run and now all the pellets have turned into sawdust. Should I scoop everything out and start over? Or just rake the sawdust around and not worry about it?
Wow, I never had them all turn to sawdust but I do believe I'd replace them as they can't absorb like before. If that sawdust all dried out, it's better than sawmill sawdust in that this sawdust won't have the dust in it, so it's fine for them and maybe let it be for a couple of weeks. If it's all wet, I would get it out of there and put down more pellets.

Wow, I never had them all turn to sawdust but I do believe I'd replace them as they can't absorb like before. If that sawdust all dried out, it's better than sawmill sawdust in that this sawdust won't have the dust in it, so it's fine for them and maybe let it be for a couple of weeks. If it's all wet, I would get it out of there and put down more pellets.
Crazy part is, it's already dry. I'm going to wait and see if it will still clump around their poo.

Back
Top Bottom