Pink Eye in Chicken

Hydale

Hatching
Jun 2, 2024
Hi Guys I am new here. May I ask about the problem on my Buff Orpington Chicken?

The first image she developed a pink eye and I didn't give any medication. The second image is after 6 days it got worse. Anyone know this disease?

Attachments

• IMG_20240527_151721.jpg
    IMG_20240527_151721.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240602_180854.jpg
    IMG_20240602_180854.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 3
Conjunctivitis (pink eye) and the bubbles seen in the eye can be a sign of MG/CRD, a chronic respiratory disease in poultry. It is spread by a carrier and sometimes in a hatching egg. Your other chickens are probably exposed and only a couple of chickens may show symptoms. I would apply either Terramycin or Neosporin ointment to her eye twice a day. Also you can use Tylosin or Denagard in her water to treat symptoms. Here is where to get Tylosin, and dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Conjunctivitis (pink eye) and the bubbles seen in the eye can be a sign of MG/CRD, a chronic respiratory disease in poultry. It is spread by a carrier and sometimes in a hatching egg. Your other chickens are probably exposed and only a couple of chickens may show symptoms. I would apply either Terramycin or Neosporin ointment to her eye twice a day. Also you can use Tylosin or Denagard in her water to treat symptoms. Here is where to get Tylosin, and dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Thanks for responding! I asked my poultry food shop about this and he said if I give medication (Tablet/Capsules) to my chicken I should limit/not give food and water for them. So should I only give water to her?

No, I would not limit food at all if you are using Tylosin. They need nutrition for those 5 days.
Hi is tylosin good for older chickens such as 9 months above? Also, I don't think if Tylosin is available in my country. Is this good as alternative to Tylosin? I usually give this tablet for my chickens that are 9 months above when they were sick.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 4
Doxycycline is also used for MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum.) Tiamulin, the other ingredient is the same as Denagard, which I mentioned above as a possible treatment as well. Tiamulin has a bad taste, so some people sweeten the water with additives to make it more tasty. That product should be fine to use, if you can find the dosage for chickens. What country are you in? It helps to let us know, so that we can try to recommend the alternative products. Do you have a vet that can help?

Doxycycline is also used for MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum.) Tiamulin, the other ingredient is the same as Denagard, which I mentioned above as a possible treatment as well. Tiamulin has a bad taste, so some people sweeten the water with additives to make it more tasty. That product should be fine to use, if you can find the dosage for chickens. What country are you in? It helps to let us know, so that we can try to recommend the alternative products. Do you have a vet that can help?
The product's dosage is one tablet per day for 5-7 days. I'm from Philippines. Unfortunately, I don't have a vet that can help and it is just a small backyard and approximately 30 plus chicken and all of them are in cage (Breeding pens and square pens). This is the example of my chickens. This is old photo and They were down to four as I sold some of them. Unfortunately, the four developed a pink eye.

Attachments

• BUFF.jpeg
    BUFF.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom