Pipd's Peeps!

My co-broodies this year are getting special leg bands because the one silver phoenix hen as done this twice and I know she accepts older chicks pretty readily. Shes my oldest silver phoenix hen. The one I named Star. If they can reliably keep doing this they may get a pen of their own just for hatching and raising chicks. Would have to be to the side of their permanent home pen so integration is still easy.

That's a good idea! I let mine brood in the pen with their flocks, but fence them off for the first few weeks just to be safe. They integrate pretty easily afterward!

She definitely is rotten. Maybe the other people didn't interact with her enough? I went out to feed them and she's actually keeping track of me because she already knows I provide the food. The little blue one is buddies with her, so I guess she's got her place for now.

It's very likely that a lack of much handling would do that. I suspect that's why the birds I've gotten in the past that were fully grown when I got them were sketchy. My original OEGB pair was like that, but their offspring are such lovely little birdies with me. :love

When I watched the vid, Cheddar was literally on his back at one point. I felt bad for him, but they seem fine rn. We are going out of town for the weekend. I just hope they behave.

I watched yesterday and Cheddar is a fence fighter. He antagonizes Rebel when Rebel is on the duck's side. Rebel usually sits up on the fence divider. Since he can get anywhere in the run, he can pick a fight any day he chooses. But, usually he chooses peace.
But, I don't think Cheddar expected Rebel to have had enough.

This was probably Cheddar the day before -

View attachment 3866902

:lau

Oh my goodness!! :gig It sounds like they should be all right for the weekend. Can you check your camera while away? Might be interesting to see what they do. 🤔

Also, if I had to get rid of one of them, Cheddar would be chosen. Although he's never done anything to me. He's just not that interested in me either. Rebel comes and talks to me, pinches me when I don't give him a treat fast enough 😂, and when I picked him up to check on him - he leaned into me - like a hug of sorts. 😉
OK, I know he wasn't hugging me... but we have more of a bond.

I had a hen who would sit in your lap (and I mean the general 'you' because she did this with pretty much anyone) and press her chest into yours with one or both of her wings out a ways like she was hugging. Like you, I know it wasn't really a hug, but it sure felt like it. 🥰 She was such a grouch otherwise that it was so sweet how affectionate she was with her people. 🤭

Excited to see how this all unfolds. ❤️

So far so good today!! Picture coming soon 😁

Day 10 picture of the day. We got some rain overnight and the humidity is so high that I practically swam my way through my chicken chores this morning. This weather's for the ducks!

1718887605711.png

Crash is sure getting to be an old lady--she's 9 years old now :eek:

Anyway, runners up. Here are the co-mamas today, making sure their babies get their breakfast 🥰

1718887745867.png

Peanut Butter looking a bit better after her super early molt

1718887832519.png

And Sumi's bitty banty eyes always come off with more of a threatening aura, like 'don't you dare put that thing any closer to me!!' 🤣

1718887930291.png

It's very likely that a lack of much handling would do that. I suspect that's why the birds I've gotten in the past that were fully grown when I got them were sketchy. My original OEGB pair was like that, but their offspring are such lovely little birdies with me. :love
Yes, well yesterday I went out with a piece of bread - something I very rarely do. But, this bread has nuts and seeds and pretty wholesome. It was also stale. The 2 - Mango and Olive (the little blue one) were seeking me out and eating the bread out of my hand. I would pinch tiny pieces off for them. Rose still kept her distance, but she did enjoy it. That tells me they probably got a few too many treats. I will keep it in mind when I need to catch them. 😂
Oh my goodness!! :gig It sounds like they should be all right for the weekend. Can you check your camera while away? Might be interesting to see what they do. 🤔
Yes, I will check on them while I'm gone. I can have my son put them in a separate area if needed.
I had a hen who would sit in your lap (and I mean the general 'you' because she did this with pretty much anyone) and press her chest into yours with one or both of her wings out a ways like she was hugging. Like you, I know it wasn't really a hug, but it sure felt like it. 🥰 She was such a grouch otherwise that it was so sweet how affectionate she was with her people.
So precious. I just love how different all chickens are.
We got some rain overnight and the humidity is so high that I practically swam my way through my chicken chores this morning. This weather's for the ducks!
Isn't that the truth. My eyes were sweating this morning. :lau
Crash is sure getting to be an old lady--she's 9 years old now
Awe. Do you have other call ducks?

I love the other pics as well. Peanut Butter is such a cute name and of course Sumi is serious and precious as always.

I still haven't settled on a name for my Silkie mix, I've tried a few out, but they just aren't sticking.

Yes, well yesterday I went out with a piece of bread - something I very rarely do. But, this bread has nuts and seeds and pretty wholesome. It was also stale. The 2 - Mango and Olive (the little blue one) were seeking me out and eating the bread out of my hand. I would pinch tiny pieces off for them. Rose still kept her distance, but she did enjoy it. That tells me they probably got a few too many treats. I will keep it in mind when I need to catch them. 😂

Haha, yeah, the way to a chicken's heart is quite often through its stomach! 🤭

Isn't that the truth. My eyes were sweating this morning. :lau

You know what, that's pretty accurate 🤣

Awe. Do you have other call ducks?

No, Crashie's my very last duck, and once she's gone I most likely will not get back into ducks in the future. I had her and her parents, and that was enough to tell me that I am not a duck person. 🤭

I love the other pics as well. Peanut Butter is such a cute name and of course Sumi is serious and precious as always.

I still haven't settled on a name for my Silkie mix, I've tried a few out, but they just aren't sticking.

I'm the same way with names! Sometimes it feels like it takes forever to find just the right one, but then there's just something about when the name suits the bird just perfectly... :love

I thought I'd clicked post on this an hour ago before I went out to close coops, but apparently I didn't. 🤔 Anyway, I'm heading to bed now so good night all!

Haha, yeah, the way to a chicken's heart is quite often through its stomach! 🤭

You know what, that's pretty accurate 🤣

No, Crashie's my very last duck, and once she's gone I most likely will not get back into ducks in the future. I had her and her parents, and that was enough to tell me that I am not a duck person. 🤭

I'm the same way with names! Sometimes it feels like it takes forever to find just the right one, but then there's just something about when the name suits the bird just perfectly... :love

I thought I'd clicked post on this an hour ago before I went out to close coops, but apparently I didn't. 🤔 Anyway, I'm heading to bed now so good night all!
Good night!

And good morning! :frow

Day 11 picture of the day. I wanted a nice picture of Myrna at the food dish. Instead, I got Myrna looking at me like, 'They're behind me, aren't they?' with a few Easter-hatch cockerels running by in the background. 🤣

1718973386837.png

The runners up were all fuzzies 😁 Here's Coco, because I feel like I just don't get very many pictures of Coco in general.

1718973488155.png

Our co-broodies hard at work spilling feed everywhere for their babies :rolleyes:

1718973563309.png

And Trixie--if looks could kill! :th She was already angry before this because Gwenyth being in broody jail right next to the feed pan on the deck offended her, I guess. The two of them were trying to have a spat through the wire rather unsuccessfully. :rolleyes:

1718973658681.png

And good morning! :frow

Day 11 picture of the day. I wanted a nice picture of Myrna at the food dish. Instead, I got Myrna looking at me like, 'They're behind me, aren't they?' with a few Easter-hatch cockerels running by in the background. 🤣

View attachment 3868315

The runners up were all fuzzies 😁 Here's Coco, because I feel like I just don't get very many pictures of Coco in general.

View attachment 3868316

Our co-broodies hard at work spilling feed everywhere for their babies :rolleyes:

View attachment 3868317

And Trixie--if looks could kill! :th She was already angry before this because Gwenyth being in broody jail right next to the feed pan on the deck offended her, I guess. The two of them were trying to have a spat through the wire rather unsuccessfully. :rolleyes:

View attachment 3868318
You have coop fulls of characters today 🤣

Back
Top Bottom