Pipping?

I put them in the brooder but they're not that interested in food water or scrambled egg, are they meant to be constantly cheeping not loud distressed ones but continuous ones?
They're still absorbing their yolk, so they're not hungry yet. Give them about six to twelve more hours, then start tapping at the food and water with your finger. Once one figures it out, they will all follow.

As @007Sean said, you're going to need a cover on the brooder sooner than you might think. I brood in an upstairs bedroom and once waited too long to cover them. When I went up for bed, I heard a chirp coming from the wrong bedroom. Fortunately, the bird hadn't been out for too long and I was able to catch it, return it to the brooder and put the cover on before anymore birds got out. I think they were right at a week old, maybe a day or two older than that.

The egg still hasn't made any progress 😕. Should I try assist it tomorrow as it has been pipped 3 days?
If it has been pipped for three days and you can see the beak, but the hole isn't getting any bigger, it may be time to make your decision about assisting. There are people who will not assist no matter what. Chicks who have trouble hatching often have trouble because there is something wrong with them. Even if you assist, you may have to cull the chick to keep it from suffering.

Your choice.

@Nabiki is 100% correct. If you have to assist it's usually because the chick has a defect! If it's not a malpositioned chick, I'm one of the ones that won't assist, the smaller the chick, the harder it is to assist. And I think it's a waste of time, as it usually doesn't turn out well for the chick.

Back
Top Bottom