pix of chix (or, name that breed!)

bhadrika

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Mansfield, MA
We finally have pictures of our chicks, who arrived 2wks ago yesterday from MM. We planned on bonding with 10 egg layers and not bonding too much with 15 meat birds, but have run into some problems with telling who's who. Here's the flock: 2 Cuckoo Marans, one Buttercup, one Egyptian Fayoumi, 6 EEs, 6 White Rocks, 10 Dk Cornish, and the free rare mystery chick. But to kee it from being a straightforward logic puzzle, four chicks died, so we don't really know how many we have of anything.

The Cuckoos were easily identified from the start, but straight run and we can't keep roos. At least one is acting very roo-ish, so if anyone in MA wants a Cuckoo roo in a few weeks, let us know.
PICT2381.jpg

We're pretty sure this is an example of the Dk Cornish -- of the plethora of chipmunk striped chicks, many of them are growing similar feathers.
PICT2412.jpg

The White Rocks, were supposed to be easy, 6 basic yellow peeps. We call them the White Boys. But there were seven yellow chicks in the first batch, one with darker tawny parts. As they all grow in white feathers, it's getting harder and harder to tell her apart, though at least she's not growing a comb yet. Any guesses what she might be?
PICT2401.jpg
PICT2399.jpg

We also recognized the Egyptian Fayoumi, named BB, pretty easily (we think):
PICT2499.jpg

PICT2419.jpg

The big brown guy behind BB is, we think, an Americauna. He even seems t be growing the muff/beard already, though the photo doesn't show it as fully bushy as it is:
PICT2458.jpg

PICT2461.jpg

We have a pair of Chicken Ducks too (and even called them Ducks, when not calling them The Professors -- they look like they should be wearing little tweed jackets), and I'm guessing they're Americaunas as well:
PICT2473.jpg

Now the important ones. Squid here is presumed to be the Buttercup, but we really haven't a clue -- anyone care to confirm our guess?
PICT2313.jpg

PICT2445.jpg

And Foxglove here is the tamest as well as the largest/fastest growing (first/most feathers, etc). His coloring is different from the Dk Cornish, so we have our fingers crossed -- anyone care to hazard a guess? Remember, there's still the rare mystery chick, unless it's one of the ones that died, or the white one, or Squid...
PICT2396.jpg

And just to show we do more than hold them and try to guess their breed, here they are hanging out on the Jungle Gym my son made for them out of K'nex. They love to perch, and the earlier versions kept tipping over....
PICT2449.jpg

Bhadrika

Our lone Ameraucana chick looks JUST like the darker one you ID'd in the photo- little muffy cheeks, dark greenish legs, etc. Very cute!

-MTchick

The white one looks a lot like my white Amerucana. If her/his legs turn blue, that is what it is. This is my pullet at 3 weeks (today). Don't know about the others, but they are very cute.

2weeksold003-1.jpg

Quote:
That is your Buttercup chick. You can tell by the mask around the eyes and the markings on top of the head. Here are a couple of pictures of our Buttercup pullet, Ellen, so you can see what a beautiful bird this will be. Ellen is one of the friendliest birds we have and is a great forager and egg layer.

At 15 days old...

At 28 days old with some of her flock mates...

At 8 months old...

Last edited:
Haha! I'm not the only one who uses K'nex for everything! I used it for adjustable lamp holder hangers, lamp hight adjustment things, water bottle holders, feed dish raisers, temporary cages!!! Good luck finding out which chicks are which.

Back
Top Bottom