Please help-flock trying to kill 9 week old chickens.

That said integration takes a long time sometimes.

It's about space and resources.

Can you post pics of your set up so we can better help problem solve?
x2. Impossible to give advice without seeing what you're working with. Or else generally we're going to assume you have limited space and a bare, boring run, but sometimes folks surprise me with a really good set up, but their adult birds are just simply nasty to babies.

I begin integration around 2 weeks, sometimes a little earlier depending on how things look, so much different than how others approach integration where they want the birds much older.

I read Leghorns are very broody.
Broody is when a hen wants to set on eggs to hatch the eggs. A hen who is broody does not lay egs.

Leghorns are the breed best known for being NOT broody. So if you read the breed information at any hatchery, you can expect it to say "not broody" or "non-setters" or "unlikely to go broody.

Leghorns have traditionally been been the breed that laid the most eggs, in large part because they did NOT go broody. They have had this reputation for well over a century. (Thanks to selective breeding, some others are just as good now, but Leghorns are still among the top layers.)

Yes, Leghorns do go broody on occasion-- and when people tell about a broody Leghorn, they tend to mention how rare it is.

Really? I have read that on a few sites.
I find it hard to believe that any site would describe Leghorns as broody. (But I suppose anything is possible on the internet.)

Broody is when a hen wants to set on eggs to hatch the eggs. A hen who is broody does not lay egs.

Leghorns are the breed best known for being NOT broody. So if you read the breed information at any hatchery, you can expect it to say "not broody" or "non-setters" or "unlikely to go broody.

Leghorns have traditionally been been the breed that laid the most eggs, in large part because they did NOT go broody. They have had this reputation for well over a century. (Thanks to selective breeding, some others are just as good now, but Leghorns are still among the top layers.)

Yes, Leghorns do go broody on occasion-- and when people tell about a broody Leghorn, they tend to mention how rare it is.

I find it hard to believe that any site would describe Leghorns as broody. (But I suppose anything is possible on the internet.)
On this site there’s a person saying their’s is acting broody. My friend who moved to FL had one that he said was broody. Sounds like its rare. One in every crowd? 😂 Thanks for the info!

I have the opposite problem! The seven 9 week old chicklets I have here are as big or bigger than my three pet Silkies, one of the 'Roosterlets' thinks he is the big boss and has been attaching my two smaller Silkies - the third Silkie has been laying for a couple weeks and she is the Big Boss. Anyways the little Roo has been crowing since he was around 6 weeks, and trying to jump on my Laying Silkie for the past couple of weeks. She tears a strip off him and he has learnt to stay away from her. But the other two Silkies he just terrorizes if he gets them alone!

Being new to Chickens I am finding their savagery both horrifying and intriguing, my horses aren't like this (thank goodness!), and my blacksmith and I both agree that it's a good thing Chickens aren't 6' tall or they would be a real danger to humans :)

My setup could be described as boring and maybe on the smaller side. It is a fenced-in area about 12 feet by 8 feet with perches (2x2's) all over. The House which sits in the said pen is off the ground and is 8 feet by 4 feet.

They have always got along splendidly and I have never seen any hostility at all. No signs of aggression even between the two roosters! I have some playthings in there and bricks to climb over, etc. Right now it is a soppy mess because the rain will NOT stop. Once it does I will scrape it out and lay down new litter. At least the litter inside and under the house is dry so they keep their feet clean and dry there.

Anyways, if all I can have is 10, I will gladly part with the leghorns to have my ten in peace.

I live on a 10 acre mostly wooded farm so letting them free-range is not only legal but would probably be more fun for them, if not more dangerous.

P.S.
I am attaching an old photo to give an idea of the chicken area. I don't have a more current one but this should give you an idea. (A door was added in the front, 2x2s slid across the pen for day roosting, etc.)

To be the bearer of bad news....

Your coop is barely big enough for 8.
Your run is big enough for 9.

If your laying boxes are inside the coop than it is even smaller so could not house even 8 birds.

Integration requires lots of extra space even with really docile breeds. You do not have room for the number of birds you have let alone integration.

If you can build a second coop and run that would give it he new kids room to be safe.

If you prefer the newer breed of birds perhaps selling the 1 year olds would be best.

Even turned out to fend for themselves the original birds still need shelter, food and water. Leghorns are a high production breed so cannot readily find enough forage for their nutritional needs.
Turning the one year olds loose can draw predators in closer to the new birds as well.

To be the bearer of bad news....

Your coop is barely big enough for 8.
Your run is big enough for 9.

If your laying boxes are inside the coop than it is even smaller so could not house even 8 birds.

Integration requires lots of extra space even with really docile breeds. You do not have room for the number of birds you have let alone integration.

If you can build a second coop and run that would give it he new kids room to be safe.

If you prefer the newer breed of birds perhaps selling the 1 year olds would be best.
Yes, I agree with 21hens, you probably should rehome some of your birds. It is way too small of an area for that many birds. You probably should rehome the baby chicks.

Yes, I agree with 21hens, you probably should rehome some of your birds. It is way too small of an area for that many birds. You probably should rehome the baby chicks.
Ok. For what it is worth, the two roosters are bantams so it seemed ok when I was working out the sq footage. The nestboxes are elevated to make the most use of floor space as well. They have been happy and healthy for over a year now. I provide them grass, organic pellets, sometimes garden vegetables, etc. Their coop is cleaned out weekly and the pen is almost always clean and dry except when rains prevent it. They seem to be extremely happy birds.

I guess I'll look into expanding. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom