Please help - I think I have two roosters!

In your new photo, you can see sickle feathers growing (those two arching feathers at the top of the tail). There is no doubt.

ETA: Beverly used to be a man's name... you don't actually have to change it.

Last edited:
Beautiful birds. I understand in Australia the Araucana is tailed and crested - indeed VERY different from the birds in the US, which are rumpless and tufted. It's confusing to call them the same breed at all!

Hi everyone - thanks so much again for your comments, it was so helpful to get a definitive answer. We've now contacted the breeder and he's going to swap them for a couple of females. We're going to miss them though. Not sure the neighbours would agree!

PS it is interesting how different the Australian Araucana is to the US one. Quite confusing!

The Australlian Araucana seem to be the same as our English Araucana's.
I have them in different colours, and have currently got two lavender males for breeding.
Your two are 100% males!

Very pretty
smile.png

This is a 10 week old laverder cockerel (Arnold)

93178_p7281211.jpg

This is the same bird 3 months later (still Arnold)

93178_pa200009.jpg

This is a rooster (Edward 2 and a half years old)

93178_dsc00116.jpg

They both developed some blond leakage around their saddle and hackle after 16 weeks.
Two very different birds from seperate strains.

Hope this helps, and good luck on getting some girls
smile.png

I agree both boys , I have to Rumpless non tufted boys and didn't want to belive they were both boys until they both crowed I'm hoping for some good crosses with them since Spot seems to be the ladies man of the coop
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom